question

Mike Mitchell avatar image
Mike Mitchell asked

Multiplus mounted upside down

Renegade Motorhomes always mounts the Magnum inverter upside down (picture added) and no one has ever reported an issue. If I do the same with a Victron Multiplus Inverter/Charger will all of the electrons fall out? Just kidding. Seriously though, anyone know if a Victron Multiplus can be mounted in the same manner? The Multiplis manual states vertical mount is preferred for cooling but that horizontal mount is allowed. It's vague on if it absolutely must be mounted on a horizontal surface though.

inverterbay.jpg

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
inverterbay.jpg (284.5 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
justmurph avatar image
justmurph answered ·

The other consideration is cooling. At lower loads they cool convectively with cool air being drawn in at the bottom and out at the top. Under higher loads the fan kicks in to force this. Turn it. upside down and the air will go the other way (with no fan). Will it still cool ok? Probably. Will the fan come in sooner? Likely. Will the fan still cool it well enough. Probably.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It depends upon which model.
You joked about the electronics falling out, but it's actually an important concern.

The heaviest part in the MultiPlus is the big iron core transformer. Different models have the transformer mounted in different ways but optimised for vertical mounting.
It would not be good for the transformer to be hanging off its mounting bolts upside down because then it could quite literally fall out if the vehicle struck a bump in the road.
One model of Multiplus could be horizontally mounted, but not upside down while another model could be. Some MultiPlus models have the transformer(s) mounted on the side(s), in which case upside down mounting make no difference if the side are still vertical to level.

2 |3000

Mike Mitchell answered ·

Thanks @WKirby. This would likely be a Multiplus 12/120/3000.

The new Multiplus II 2x120v is also a possibility- I noticed that manual does not have the horizontal mounting verbiage in the manual though.

1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Those one have a transformer mounted on the back panel and I'd not want to mount one of those horizontally upside down.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mike Mitchell answered ·

Thanks @WKirby - Armed with that info I took a closer look at the 12/3000/120- There are two large coils mounted on the sides- directly anchored to the side walls with 2 large screws each. In the middle is what looks like a large heat sink to me that is anchored to the back wall with 4 smaller screws.

Then I found a video from Victron online that showed the inside- even better! (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UPfUn5ki7OM)

If the coils are the heaviest part I would think it would be fine mounting on the bottom of a horizontal surface like the Magnum is mounted. I'll error on the side of caution though with wall mounting, at the expense of less efficient space usage of the compartment.

(Screen grab is a picture of the inside... looking down from the top?.)

mpinside.jpg

mpinside.jpg (275.3 KiB)
1 comment
2 |3000

wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Ah yes, sorry. I got confused and I was thinking about the MultiPlus II for some reason, maybe it was past my bedtime :).

Anyway, yes that model that you show 12/3000/120 would be fine because the transformers are on the sides. As long as the sides are vertical then there is no difference.

The convection cooling at low loads would be affected, the fan would kick on earlier though. As long as there is enough space for airflow then the forced cooling will be just as effective.

1 Like 1 ·