question

douea avatar image
douea asked

What is Passthru?

So I've never thought passthru to be an issue until recently talking to a friend. Should this be a concern that I'm hopping in and out of pass through quite a bit? I've searched through manuals and can't really find much on passthru.

screenshot-20210415-122718.png

Some recent system details: The long period of my multi-plus being off around March 23rd was when I did a two 12 volt lithium battery upgrade from a four 6 volt lead acid battery setup. I've not been using power assist until recently after the lithium battery upgrade. This setup is within a fifth wheel RV.

My setup:

screenshot-20210415-124327.png

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Pass through just means that the Inverter is send power directly from the grid to your loads and the inverter is doing No work.

Just look at what is happening when its on pass through.

Ie are the batteries full

has the BMS turned charging off or loads off.

or if the BMS is internal in the batteries have the batteries been turned off by the internal BMS

Its really nothing to worry about usually

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

freher avatar image
freher answered ·

Is it correct that with Passthru the "entire" input power is passed on? As an example, I have a MultiPlus 12/800/35 and can assume that up to 16A / 230V / 3680 watts are passed through - regardless of what I may generate of the maximum value by the inverter?

1 comment
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@freher

Passthrough means nothing is being contributed by batteries or PV to the loads of the system.

It is passing the grid through to your loads (no power assist, no charge to battery either).

0 Likes 0 ·
some-user avatar image
some-user answered ·

I noticed when I reboot the Cerbo GX the system (VE.bus state) went into passthru during the time the Cerbo wasn't available. (running a ESS system with Quattro and MPPT 450). Just added as a general remark for someone looking for a possible reason for passthru.

1 comment
2 |3000

nickdb avatar image nickdb ♦♦ commented ·

Yip, this is normal as the GX is responsible for external control and without it the system will revert to passthrough until it returns.

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Energy_Storage_System/en/faq.html#UUID-169dbd85-4b6f-814b-33c2-9fa77a6973d2_section-idm4628123204859232885885561444

0 Likes 0 ·