question

bryan avatar image
bryan asked

Multiplus Compact running WMD1050 washing machine issues

I'm trying to run an WMD1050 washing machine from a 12/2000/80 Inverter-Charger with no success.

The inverter is rated at 2000 VA continuous and 4000VA for 5 seconds. The washer pulls about 180 watts on wash cycle and 375 watts on spin cycle. (No hot water cycle)

The problem seems to be the triac controlled motor running at very low speed (75 rpm) during the wash cycle. The bowl turns about quarter of a revolution, then the washer LED's flash off and the washer stalls and then reties to continue it's cycle.

At much higher spin cycle speed (1000 rpm), there are no issues.

If I connect a 1.2 kW kettle at the same time, the problem seems to largely disappear.

By using a CRO, the waveform on wash cycle as small kinks when the motor loads up. With the kettle connected, the waveform kinks are much smaller.

I tried an power capacitor of 30 microfarad across the input the washer and this did change the waveform a bit, so that the kinks were nearly the zero crossings of the waveform.

The inverter is about 3 years old and the chip ID is 2608430.VFD.

Is there any new software upgrade to address this problem of Triac controlled washer motors running at low power?

Any insights to the problems would be greatly appreciated

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Have you got AES turned on if so turn it off and see if that helps

1618491128116.png

1618491128116.png (36.7 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bryan avatar image
bryan answered ·

Thanks for that. I checked that and it's definitely off.

Is there any software update to inverter to handle low loads at poor power factor?

1 comment
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

the latest fw is 481 try updating and see how you go

0 Likes 0 ·
bryan avatar image
bryan answered ·

Have come to a 98% successful solution which consists of the following

- Change inverter voltage to 239 VAC

- Add 50 microfarad capacitor to input of washing machine. Added 7.5 amp fuse to protect capacitors , LED indicator and discharge resistor of 50 Kohm at 2 watts. (Cost $45)

- Added 3 stage infrared heater with switchable 400/800/1200 watt settings (Cost $10 at Opshop)

- Washing with COLD water only.

With this combination of the resistive (800W) and capacitance (50 uF) loads seems to keep the washing machine control electronic under/over voltage protection satisfied. When the machine is spinning at full speed, you can reduce heater load to 400W.

With machine may stop one or twice in the half hour washing cycle and then restarts after 10 seconds and continues on.

This solution was much cheaper than ditching the washing machine at $1300

2 |3000

bricki avatar image
bricki answered ·

Dear Bryan,

thanksfor your explanation. I have exact the same issue with the combination of Multiplus 24/3000 and my washing machine in my RV. In former times, with an older Victron Phoenix 3000, everything was perfect. But now, I have to run a hairdryer with 800W to prevent my washing machine from resetting while starting to tumble. Where did you put the 50uF capacitor? Together with the resistor between L and N?

Do you still have to put your heater on? Where ist the advantage of the capacitor?
Thanks
Peter

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
I've got a similar problem, but with an angle grinder. It appears to be electronically controlled. With grid power through the unit, no problem. Inverter only, doesn't start. I put it down to incompatibility between the high frequency pure sine wave from the inverter and the electronics in the grinder not being able to handle it.

If @Bryan doesn't update, please let me know if you find an answer.

0 Likes 0 ·