question

jedu avatar image
jedu asked

Want to connect Converter output and 24V-to-12V Victron Converter

I have a 12V Converter in my RV. It's output feeds the RV. If I connect a 24V-to-12V DC-DC converter to this same point and the converter comes on, what will happen to the 24V-to-12V Victron system?

Orion DC-DC Converters not smart
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

4 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

Please be more clear in you description as to what you are doing. even a hand drawn wiring diagram would help a LOT

If you are saying can I put the new victron 24 to 12 volt converter in parallel with the existing 24 to 12 converter.

Then yes however which ever converter has the higher voltage, this converter will work harder so adjust the victron one to be as close as possible to the existing units 12 v output. so that both do equal work, (both units should be the same output current)

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

bbandeddie avatar image
bbandeddie answered ·

Hi, I have a similar design situation as the OP so I can add info to the original request.

The shore power charger/converter in my RV outputs 13.2V when resting and jumps to 13.6V when loads come on (eg fan, water pump).

In the original system this converter/charger is meant to charge the 12V Pb battery.

I’m reconfiguring the system to use 24V Li LGChem modules. I’m proposing a 24-12 70A DC-DC converter to bring the battery output to 12.7V to connect to the RV Bus at the same point as the RV existing charger/Converter.

Does putting the higher voltage output of the chg/converter against the dc-dc converter output pose any safety or integrity concerns on the DC-DC converter?

Note: there is no intent to use the RV charger output to charge the batteries.

2 |3000

Tom avatar image
Tom answered ·

Your post is confusing. If you are asking if you install a 24 volt system in your RV IE 24 volt battery and 24 volt inverter. How do you power your 12 volt appliances?

I have this 24 volt system in my RV and all I do is use a 24vdc to 12vdc converter. Victron also manufactured a few different converter with adjustable out put up to 15 VDC.

I have left my 13.8 VDC side of my 3 way refer, 12vdc 30 amp slide out and generator start connected to the cab 12 volt alternator system.

2 |3000

bbandeddie avatar image
bbandeddie answered ·

Tom,is it my Post you find unclear? I’m planning 24V batteries converted with a 24/12 70A DC-DC converter to bring 12.8V to the common bus. On the shore power side I have 120V AC converted to 13.2/13.6V DC and connected to the same bus.

My question is, and I think I’ve already determined it isn’t an issue, Will this difference in voltage potential from the two different sources cause problems for the dc-dc converter? I’m pretty sure that appliances in the rig will draw from the source of highest potential (the shore power converter).

As this is a travel trailer, connecting to the tow vehicle electrical system isn’t being considered at this point.

1 comment
2 |3000

Tom avatar image Tom commented ·

I did not understand fully understand what you were trying to achieve. I thought it was much simpler as in a 24-12 converter for 12 volt appliances.

I do not have much knowledge base for what you are looking to do.

0 Likes 0 ·