question

robertr avatar image
robertr asked

Maximum PV Power that a BlueSolar MPPT 150/60 can handle.

My neighbour has a BlueSolar MPPT 150/60 charger that has four panels of 400 Watt, in 2x2 configuration. (Two parallel sets of two panels in series)
He wants to add two extra similar panels, one in each parallel set.
The open circuit voltage of three panels in series will be 149.4 Volt, just under the maximum of 150 Volt.

With the extra panels the total maximum power will increase from 1600 to 2400 Watt.
I understand that the charger will limit the output power to the battery to 1720 Watt. the extra panels will help a lot in the winter and on cloudy days.

My question: is a total of 2400 Watt in summer too much for a BlueSolar MPPT 150/60 charger although the charger will limit the output power to 1720 Watt ?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

Adding extra PV power will not damage the controller, the unharvested energy will simply be wasted on sunny days. The additional PV would be welcome on cloudy winter days. If the 2400W array only brings in 1200W for example, then there is no problem.

One problem I do foresee is the PV Voltage going over the 150V. This is entirely possible as the temperatures decrease.
A cold sunny morning could result in a PV Voltage well over 150V, which would damage the controller.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

robertr avatar image
robertr answered ·

Thanks for your quick response.

I understand that on sunny days the unharvested energy will be wasted but I see that in the winter and on cloudy days these panels are far under the maximum and installing two panels is the quickest and easiest way to have some more power.

The installation of an extra BlueSolar charger is a better option but will make it much more expensive.

The specs of the panels are Voc=49.8 Volt at standard conditions (1000 W/m2, 25 degrees C).

Temperature coefficient Voc =-0.38038%/K, with 0 degrees C the Voc will be 54.6 Volt.
Three panels in series will result in 163.8 Volt, that is probably too much for the charger.

If so, then the only solution is a configuration of three parallel sets of two panels in series or to add an extra charger.

2 |3000