question

jockel avatar image
jockel asked

Input BlueSolar 100/30 charge controller

can I connect a 24V power supply to the PV input of a BlueSolar 100/30 charge controller?

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

If you are intending to charge a 12V battery, then yes, that will work.

Make sure that you do not exceed the maximum PV short circuit current which is 35A for this model. If your power supply is less that 35A, then you'll probably be fine.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

jockel avatar image
jockel answered ·

Thanks for the quick reply.

Yes, I want to charge my Lifepo4 in my caravan either with PV 38V 360W or with my 12/24 DC DC converter with 400W output or with my AC DC 230V/35V 400W output power supply.

Is this possible?

At charging end the victron will cut off input?

Or will it short the input, like some charge controller do?

6 comments
2 |3000

Alexandra avatar image Alexandra ♦ commented ·

@Jockel

It will short the PV input as some charge controllers do.

0 Likes 0 ·
jockel avatar image jockel Alexandra ♦ commented ·

So its not possible to use the input with a power supply instead of PV modules to prevent the power supply or the the victron from becoming destroyed?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ jockel commented ·

I have done this and I have seen other people do this.

A solar MPPT controller does periodically perform a scan of the input in order to seek the maximum power point. It will scan from maximum input Voltage all the way down to 1V above whatever the battery Voltage is at the time.
Now, this may well cause an overload on the power supply if it is rated below the maximum output of the MPPT. How the power supply responds is entirely dependant upon the type and design of the power supply. Usually one of two things will happen. The power supply will cut out and then come back again when the MPPT input goes high impedance as a result. Otherwise the power point of the power supply will be so low that the MPPT does another scan.

On the flip side, if the PSU is rated higher than the MPPT's maximum output. then the PSU would not be overloaded.

It's not an ideal situation, a DC-DC charger would be the best option.
However, your original question was whether it would work.

0 Likes 0 ·
jockel avatar image jockel wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Thank you very much for the detailed explanation.

So there is no risk of killing the victron solar charger ?

And it would be best for the powersupply to produce more power than the MPPT can handle?

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ jockel commented ·

The MPPT automatically limits its output to 30A (I don't know why I said 35A in an earlier answer). On a 12V battery sitting at 14.8V absorb phase, that is 444W.
If your power supply is more than 444W or 18.5A at 24V then you should be OK.
If your power supply has a lower output power than this, then you should reduce the output current of the MPPT using VictronConnect app.

Also bear in mind to check that the power supply that you intend to use is up to this task. It will be putting out the above mentioned power ratings for sustained periods of time.

0 Likes 0 ·
jockel avatar image jockel wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

The voltage of my powersupply is adjustable, so I will turn it to 24V at 20A output (480W).

Thanks for your help

0 Likes 0 ·
jockel avatar image
jockel answered ·

No idea about this?

2 |3000