question

tim22 avatar image
tim22 asked

IP67 charger for marine use

I see the following statement in the IP67 manual (15e).

“A marine (boat) battery must be removed and charged on shore. To charge it on board requires equipment specially designed for marine use.”

I am planning on installing an IP67 permanently on my sail boat to charge two lithium batteries. My understanding was that this charger was suitable for marine use. I would, therefore, be interested in knowing what makes it inappropriate for permanent installation on a boat?

Thanks

Tim

charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

christern avatar image christern commented ·

Could it be so that this is about the permanent electrical installation onboard with RCD, fuses etc that is required?

I have seen other strange wordings in the English manuals. I then checked the Dutch and the German versions and I realised what was meant.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
randy-putnam avatar image
randy-putnam answered ·

Well, I have an IP67 hooked to 2 Battle Born 100AH LFPs, and it works fine off the AC power pedestal at my dock. I use it rarely because my solar panels (hooked up to a Smart MPPT 100//30) do most of the charging. Nothing has gone “BOOM” yet, and most likely, nothing every will as long a I keep my positives and negatives in the right place!

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Zami avatar image
Zami answered ·

I have installed on a motor boat, 2 IP 67 chargers, one with 10 Amps to charge the start battery and 2nd one 25 Amps to charge aux battery 100Amp Lifepo.

I installed also a SmartBattery Sense, to check the temp when charging Lifepo (in the winter time, not below 5°C) and ware working with no issues for more about 1 year.

1 comment
2 |3000

kevgermany avatar image kevgermany ♦♦ commented ·
Do you have galvanic isolation?
0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic