question

Roger Parker avatar image
Roger Parker asked

Multiplus 12 3000 120/70 issue - not displaying a/c input or output

I am not seeing any AC input or output on my GX Touch 50, The multiplus also shows as "OFF" however everything is working as it should. I can power AC loads both on the inverter and as pass through in the multiplus. All other displays work ok on the panel but I can't get any thing on the AC side to show. This is probably an easy fix (I hope) but I don't know where to look.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Generator
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

Your description suggests there is no communication between Cerbo and the Multi. As a further confirmation of this, you should not see the Multi in the devices list (main menu).

Make sure the Multi and Cerbo are connected by a known good (factory, not home made) ethernet cable and that it is connected to one of the VE.bus connections on Cerbo.

Also make sure the Ve.Can terminations are NOT used on the Ve.Bus.

If you have an MK3 in your system, it must not be connected to the Ve.Bus in order for the Cerbo and Multi to communicate.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Roger Parker avatar image
Roger Parker answered ·

@Kevin Windrem, thank you so much for pointing me in the right direction. If what you mean by the Multi showing up in the main menu is through the "VE Smart Bus Dongle" then yes it does, my understanding is that the Multi doesn't have BT built-in so you see it through the Smart Dongle. I also can not turn the Multi on through the Smart Dongle. It always shows "OFF". I did have the terminators installed so I removed them and re-booted to no avail. I also have the MK3 in possession but it's never attached unless I'm making configuration changes to the Multi. I'm now wondering if the multi is faulty?

2 |3000

solardude avatar image
solardude answered ·

The VE Bus dongle is meant to be an alternative to the Cerbo/GX touch. It will not send the data wirelessly to the Cerbo/GX touch. You need to connect an ethernet cable from inverter to Cerbo if you want the inverters info displayed. It will also then allow you to control the inverter on/off.

4 comments
2 |3000

Roger Parker avatar image Roger Parker commented ·

I had a cable from the cerbo to the inverter, I also had a cable from the dongle to the inverter. No error lights with that hookup. When I try different plugs on the cerbo I get error lights. I've looked for and would love to see a detailed diagram that shows the actual plugs being used instead of just a line from the cerbo to the inverter. Should I take my dongle out of the system?

I have tried every possible option and I still can't get the AC side to show on the touch. I would take it to a VE authorized repair shop but the closest one is two hours away. I'm pretty much on my own here. Any other suggestions?

0 Likes 0 ·
Kevin Windrem avatar image Kevin Windrem Roger Parker commented ·

There is a drawing here:

https://www.victronenergy.com/media/pg/Cerbo_GX/en/installation.html

Note, the Multi is on the right side of the drawing.

Make sure your Multi is connected to the VE.Bus port not the VE.Can or BMS-Can ports.

Documentation suggests the VE.Bus Smart Dongle can coexist with the Multi connection although it is not shown on the diagram. You could try disconnecting it to see if it allows Cerbo to see the Multi

0 Likes 0 ·
Roger Parker avatar image Roger Parker Kevin Windrem commented ·

Update!! After looking at that diagram and your explanation the AC input and load is now working on the display. I had the RJ45 in the VE CAN and it only worked after moving the RJ45 to the left plug on the inverter. I even have that diagram printed out and didn't realize the Multi was that on the left. I have had that plug in the VE BUS before but not everything else in the right place. Thanks so much for your help. BTW the Multi doesn't show in the device list still but I've already configured that with the MK3 so I don't see why I would need that. I'll take it if I can get it to show up but it still isn't.

Thanks again for all your help!!! This place is a great resource for information and help. I hope some day I can help someone out who is as frustrated as I was!

0 Likes 0 ·
solardude avatar image solardude Roger Parker commented ·

I would eliminate the dongle. Go from inverter to Cerbo with ethernet cable. Make 100% sure on the Cerbo that you plug into VE BUS port and not the VE CAN or Ethernet ports. If you have trouble, try the other port on the inverter. I have seen numerous times where only one or the other ports on the inverter would communicate with the Cerbo.

0 Likes 0 ·