question

billbob avatar image
billbob asked

Just fitted a battery sense and now I have seen my battery reading 15.6 volts. Is this a problem. Before fitting never had a voltage this high

Just fitted a battery sense and now I have seen the voltage on my battery at 15.7 volts.

Is this a problem? Never seen a voltage this high before fitting.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Thierry Cortassa (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

maybe a temperature compensation but it seems high !

what is the absorption voltage ?

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

billbob avatar image billbob commented ·

Hi thanks for the reply, it didn't seem to go to absorption.

I checked the parameters of the controller and it was set at 12 volts and with an absorption set to 14.4 volts and the float set to 13.6 volts. This is for a standard lead acid battery.

I was also getting a warning from the control panel on the motorhome of over voltage.

PS I have disconnected the battery sense and now every thing is fine.

Regards William

0 Likes 0 ·
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Billbob

Where exactly did you connect your SBS to, and what battery are you charging with what device?

What sometimes happens: people connecting the SBS to the starter battery and charging the leisure battery, or vice-versa.

1 comment
2 |3000

billbob avatar image billbob commented ·

hi Daniel,

The battery sense is fitted to the 12 volt lead acid leisure battery connected to a Victron blue solar charger mppt 75/15.

I think you may have come up with the problem.

The motorhome is fitted with a Sargent electrical system which has a smart function that switches between the leisure and the starter battery depending on the voltage of each battery, and it may have been the starter battery that was running high.

regards william

0 Likes 0 ·