question

pmano avatar image
pmano asked

What DC-DC Filtering capacitor for MPPT, to eliminate RFI

So I have massive RFI coming off two MPPT 250/100s. Threw 1000$ of Ferrite mix 31 and 75 at them, they are still blasting.

seems I need filtering capacitors, I have found these : https://www.digikey.com/en/product-highlight/s/schaffner/fn2200-series-emc-emi-filters

They have a grounded and un-grounded versions.

based on the guidance that the +/- PV output NOT be grounded, would I want to buy the non-grounded filtering capacitors ?

also reading I saw that I might want/ need to put one filter on the MPPT Battery output side as well. So total of 2 filters per MPPT CC.... $$$$

MPPT ControllersMPPT SmartSolar
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

pmano avatar image pmano commented ·

Bump

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
pmano avatar image
pmano answered ·

Hello? Any Victron support folks? What filtering capacitors should be paired with your MPPT Charger controllers? They emit massive RFI on the HF, HAM bands.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

drdiesel avatar image
drdiesel answered ·

Amateur Radio Operator here as well, though haven't been active much and haven't noticed any interference as of yet, I also have two MPPT 250/100s.

Can you share more info? Like is the interference just in the PWM frequency of the charge controller or? I'll try and replicate what you are seeing.

2 comments
2 |3000

I am registering massive noise from 160M to 10M. It’s across the whole HF range, soon as the sun sets or I turn off the Solar combiner breakers noise goes away. I have been using a FT2DR on AM tuned to 28.410 which is one of the countless peaks of the ‘Birdies’

0 Likes 0 ·

Also, do you have your MPPTs grounded ?

0 Likes 0 ·