question

solarguy avatar image
solarguy asked

Battery monitor only showing drain

I havea a 700 battery monitor. I have the shunt connected between battery negative and the negtive to the inverter. It will mesure battery drain and the % goes down, but when charging (solar) the battery % never goes up. The volts do go up. So I can have a 100% cahrged battery but it can show 70% because the monitor won't see that the battery is charging.

So... it measures the battery draining, but never measures charge. I've double checked and it's wired correctly.

Can anyone help?

BMV Battery Monitor
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·
I have the shunt connected between battery negative and the negtive to the inverter.
And where is the solar charger connected?
0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Ulrich avatar image
Ulrich answered ·

The negative terminals of the battery must be connected to the shunt. Nothing else may be connected. Please pay attention to uniform cable lengths. The solar charge controller and the consumers are connected on the other side of the shunt. Then the incoming and outgoing current flows through the shunt and is accurately displayed.

The SmartShunt has a number of parameters that greatly influence the accuracy of the display. There is a lot of video from Victron Energy on the subject.

I hope I understand what you wanted to know and my answer will help you further?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.