question

Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image
Vangelis Beligiannis asked

How do I configure 2 BMVs connected in parallel to a battery bank?

Do I have to double the Shunt Current on the Misc menu or do I have to make it half? Do I have to change the shunt voltage as well?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

A bit more info please , Why are you wanting 2 BMV units connected in Parallel.

are you connecting two BMV displays to the same shunt or are you installing two complete units inc the shunts

just wondering why thats all - as its highly unusual to parallel shunts

0 Likes 0 ·
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image Vangelis Beligiannis Paul B commented ·

Hello! Thank you for your reply.

I have 2 different BMV's installed with their own shunt each.

One is a BMV700 exactly next to the shusnt giving info to a cerbo with a VE dierct cable.

The other BMV is installed far away from the CERBO and the shunt and is only displaying the battery info inside the house. This BMV is not connected to the Cerbo.

Using one BMV was impossible because of the big distance.

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image
Vangelis Beligiannis answered ·

Finally, two BMV's can be connected in parallel if the shunt current on the Misc menu is double.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Ok now I understand...but like Matthias wrote: best to put them in series...or..

connect two 'shunt pcb's' to one shunt.

0 Likes 0 ·
Vangelis Beligiannis avatar image Vangelis Beligiannis Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ commented ·

Do you mean, using an RJ12 splitter on the shunt and connect to monitors on the splitter? Can I connect a BMV 700 and a BMV 712 on the splitter or must they be identilcal. Of course I will use the shunt of the BMV 712.

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ Vangelis Beligiannis commented ·

No, you can't split the RJ12, that will definitely confuse the ADCs.
Either use two shunts in series or one shunt with two PCBs on it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

If I understand you correctly you have to wire both shunts in series not parallel.

2 |3000