question

tony-wright avatar image
tony-wright asked

Can I use Victron MPPT and Venus GX with any batteries and PV panels

I was getting all excited about the Victron MPPT controllers mainly because I like the look of your remote access systems using bluetooth, the internet and the venus GX. Then I saw the comparison table that implies you can only use certain batteries. There is even a list of suitable batteries. A friend with a Victron system also told me I have to have Victron panels as well.

Is this really true? Why does the controller care where the power comes from or which batteries it is sending power to? I have never heard of any other MPPT controller that has this restriction. If true, it must severely limit sales of your controllers.

Thanks

@Tony Wright

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

I'm sorry, but you've been terribly mis-informed.

You can use whatever panels you want to use. The only limitation is to not ever exceed the PV input Voltage of the MPPT controller.

It's true that the VenusGX or CCGX only communicates with other Victron components like MPPT's and Inverter /Chargers.

Batteries, you can use whatever ones you want. Lead Acid, Lithium ones of various types, flow batteries and even Aquion Salt water batteries are used (but not available anymore). There are DIY "Power Wall" people using Victron equipment.
Obviously there are Voltage limits with the batteries, but no brand limits.
There are certain products like the Victron BMS's which only communicate with Victron lithium batteries, but that is part of a battery system that a user would buy into.

If you were looking at a comparison table published by Victron, then of course they will list their own branded models, besides it'd be impossible to list every model of battery by every manufacturer.
Do you have a link to the table that you saw, then maybe we can put it into context.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tony-wright avatar image
tony-wright answered ·

This is the table that seemed to confirm the misinformation that I had already received.

https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

Click the link under "non Victron Products."

Tony

2 |3000

wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

So when I click the link under "Non Victron Products" I can see a list of batteries from other manufacturer which ARE supported. Those are lithium batteries which require constant communication with a system otherwise they disable themselves. These batteries work with the Victron Venus devices.

All regular AGM, Sealed or vented lead acid batteries work aand don't use any communication protocols.

I use a diy lithium battery on my system using the two signal BMS system, it works just fine.

2 |3000