question

Steen avatar image
Steen asked

Upgrading boat 16A, 32A and genset setup with Quattro or Multiplus

Our boat is currently configured with three power sources: Shore 16A, Shore 32A and a genset.

Power distribution between the two Load Groups (16A and 32A) is handled manually through two BLUESEA switchboards. See drawing

power-transfer-setup-with-victron.jpgThere is a 2kW inverter installed to support 16A load group

The genset can supply a maximum of 7.5KVA

As part of our project to switch to lithium batteries (12V/16.8kW) we want to be able to support both load groups with inverter capacity

The Victron Quattro 12/5000 will only allow me draw around 230V/20A. As the A/C and the Watermaker requires more than the 5000W it looks like I have to run two Quattro or Multiplus in parallel
On the homepage Victron has some schematics showing parallel setup but only considering one shore power and one load group.

I would really appreciate some advice on the best setup including a consideration about potentially replacing the two BLUESEA switches by the switching capabilities of Quattro / Muliplus?

Thanks in advance
Steen

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

Steen,

OK so regarding equipment choice

The Quattro range will suit your install very well.

These are available in a 10kva size but note you need a large enough battery bank to support this. There's some guidence as to the minimums in the Quattro manuals a larger unit is far simpler to install than a parralel setup.

Inputs wise you would normally use the 16amp or the 32.

This can be arranged so that the Quattro automatically switches its input current limit to the appropriate level by using a switch or relay and an assistant in the unit, Or you can do it manually using a gx device.

Generator can be connected to AC2 of the Quattro and programmed to auto start on demand.

Outputs wise. You will now have two outputs from the Quattro ac1 and ac2.

Ac1 is a maintained supply so anything you want to run on inverter power should be attached to this.

Ac2 only has power when the shore power input or generator input is live. Therefore you connect loads that are not desired to be run from the inverter bank. This could be water heaters for example. Most models this output is 16amp however you can use a contactor to connect these loads to ac1 based on soc or ac input status whatever you like!

So in summary, you will end up with Maintained load and non maintained load. so a bit of jigging around may be needed.

Up shot is with an appropriate alternator on your main engine you may well be able to not use your generator on transits or perhaps only when the load substantially increases and be able to run your air con over night without the generator running.

As a complicated system I would be asking an experienced Victron professional to design your system so you get the best out of it.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Steen

What is this "230V/20A" restriction you speak of?

That Quattro can accept up to 100A on both ACIN ports (not both at the same time). You'd need to limit it to 32A (Shore1 > ACIN1) and maybe less for Genny > ACIN2.

It can then supply a total of (say) 32A plus invert another 5kVA from the batts to the same circuits. That's like 11kW. Not enough?

It's draining batts doing this much of course, but once loads drop below the 32A set input it will use what's become available of that to charge batts (up to 220A @12V, maybe 3000W at charge V).

You don't actually say whether you need more than one of your input options at the same time, so I won't go there. Note the Quattro has a transfer switch(es) too, so how you incorporate the existing is for further thought. Switching from 32A to 16A limit is another issue dependent on your needs

One thing that stands out though is that 16.8kWh of batts at 12V is a lot.. But maybe you have special 12V needs?

Come back..

Edit/ Crossed with jwfrary, but I'll leave it up.

1 comment
2 |3000

jwfrary avatar image jwfrary commented ·

20 amps is about the output of a 5000 watt inverter.

Yeah 12v isn't ideal for a large inverter system.

Can you tell us more about your boat?

0 Likes 0 ·