question

iostrym avatar image
iostrym asked

is it possible to use two different regulators for the same battery ?

Hello,

I have one victron mppt 100/20 regulator. I will replace my old solar pannel by two news solar panels that can't be mixed with my old solar pannel.

I have an old stecca regulator (not mppt) that could be used with my old solar pannel.

There a 4 12v Batteries serially and parallely connected (24v).

Is it possible to use both regulators to load my batteries ? Or will it be a problem because victron will load a 24v+5v approx and choose sope voltage strategy depending on the batteries load Whereas the old stecca regulator will have maybe a different load strategy ?

What will happen ?

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Alexandra avatar image
Alexandra answered ·

@iostrym

In theory if both are set to charge to the same voltage and float to the same voltage and you are not charging at an over current, your battery you should be fine.

What you may find one will see a charged battery early and switch off or switch to float before the other, but that shouldn't be an issue as you again wont be overcharging.

Or again one may start up charging a little later than the other but again it should be ok.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

iostrym avatar image
iostrym answered ·

Thank for your answer. For sure internal algorithm won't be equal. Do one will be in bulk whereas the other one will be in float mode etc.

Charge means apply 30v to the battery, but in other mode (float) maybe it could be lower.

What would happen if one charger want to apply 30v whereas the other one want to apply 28v for instance ?

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic