question

mworl avatar image
mworl asked

Disable ground relay with "other" grid code?

I am running a primarily off grid setup with an external ground bond and a Multiplus2. I would like to use ESS, however selecting the "other" grid code prevents me from disabling the ground relay in VE config. I tried using the Australian externally bonded grid code, however that is not possible because I am using 60hz frequency. I am unable to use 60hz AC input with that grid code.

Is there any way, software or hardware, to disable the ground relay while using the "other" grid code?

The external ground bond is needed due to a transformer before the multiplus.

ESSgrid
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
seb71 avatar image
seb71 answered ·

ESS should not be used with a generator.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mworl avatar image mworl commented ·

What I would like is for my loads to be powered by dc coupled solar first, with any additional load supplied from AC input. No drawing from the batteries beyond what the mppt is supplying when external AC input is supplied.

It appears that ESS or Hub-1 can meet these requirements but I can not get it to accept 60hz input and not use the ground relay at the same time.

0 Likes 0 ·
seb71 avatar image seb71 mworl commented ·

Why to you prefer to use the generator over batteries?

Batteries won't last forever, anyway. You might as well use them.

0 Likes 0 ·
mworl avatar image mworl seb71 commented ·

A site generator is often running and available where I am currently parked. I am mobile and use the batteries when away but will be where I am now not infrequently.

At night my loads can exceed my battery capacity if I am not trying to be conservative. Id rather not put the extra cycles on the batteries if not necessary. Not to mention its quieter inside without the inverter or charger running.

0 Likes 0 ·
mworl avatar image
mworl answered ·

Alternatively, if there were a way to ignore AC input when (loads < mppt output) that would do nicely.

Just ignoring AC input based on loads or battery state works fine when the panels are supplying power but not at night obviously. At night I want to pull all power from AC input if available and only invert if no AC input is present.

2 |3000

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic