question

eas avatar image
eas asked

Victron Multiplus 12/2000/80 passthrough voltage drop during charging

Multiplus does not provide reliable voltage during pass thru of shore power. I can't run water heater without voltage in the trailer dropping from 119v to 112, try to run the air conditioner and its worse. If it is trying to charge at the same time, voltage drops more and if you try to power anything on AC it faults out, thats while on shore power. It gets worse the lower the batteries are, like the charger has priority over the ac loads. I have checked every connection, AC and DC and have no idea what it could be. The system was programmed by the supplier, so I am unaware of the settings. They tell me that the problem is on my end. Checked and double checked the wiring. What am I missing? It seems to run fine in inverter mode.

30 amp service, 8/3 wiring from the trailer plug to a 30 amp breaker, then on to the Victron ac in.

8/3 wiring from the Victron ac out straight to the 30 amp main on my trailer distribution panel.

3 Battleborn batteries, Solar w/ victron charger

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
rslifkin avatar image
rslifkin answered ·

Check the voltage at the power inlet to the trailer. If it's dropping as well, the issue isn't with your equipment or install, it's either voltage drop in the power cable to the trailer or the power supply that cable is plugged into. Some voltage drop under load (especially as you approach the full 30 amp rating) is normal (especially with a long power cable), don't expect it to stay perfectly constant.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

eas avatar image eas commented ·

Thanks for the response. I chacked the power pedestal and it was good. Also why can't I run other things when its charging? I thought the system would reduce charging ro support ac loads but it doesn't look like its doing it. Im traveling and in Florida now and heading to the Keys. I can't run the air conditioner as it stands so I thinking about disconnecting the victron and hooking the converter back up if I can't get it going. Thanks again.

If batteries are at 50 to 60 percent and its charging, I cant trun on the hot water herter without it faulting. The charger is crazy loud when its charging the batteries when they are that low. Is that normal?

0 Likes 0 ·
eas avatar image
eas answered ·

Problem solved, it was a bad breaker on the 120v line feeding the Victron. Everything is now working properly. Thanks

1 comment
2 |3000

adoncap avatar image adoncap commented ·

Hi eas, so you have an breaker or fuse somewhere between the power inlet on the trailer and the Victron that was causing the problem? I have a similar situation and trying to chase all leads. I have a switch for my generator and shore power between the inlet and my Victron Multiplus but no breakers. Thanks.

0 Likes 0 ·