question

joel-cherian avatar image
joel-cherian asked

Extract Battery and Solar data from Cerbo Gx

I just got a Cerbo GX unit. I want to extract the battery and solar voltage from the Cerbo unit via ethernet to my pc. Is there any way that this is possible. I don't want to use the VRM portal as I'm not planning to use the internet. Right now i can access the unit using its local ip. Any help is appreciated. Thanks a lot.

cerbo gxVRM
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Joel Cherian,

Yes it is possible, but will require some programming knowledge.

I will move this question to modifications space, and while waiting for others who might be able to provide more information.

More information is here:

https://github.com/victronenergy/venus-docker-grafana

You may wish to watch these two videos:

1. This video walks through installation steps

2. Instruction video how to use and configure the dashboards, once installed

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joel-cherian avatar image joel-cherian commented ·

Thank you so much for your answer !! I will check it out

0 Likes 0 ·
joel-cherian avatar image joel-cherian commented ·

Sorry for asking again. Is there a feature in Cerbo which gives data to an excel file automatically ? I looked into the dashboard project ,but it does not seem to have any HTML or Javascript code with it.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ joel-cherian commented ·

No,

The Cerbo GX is normally monitoring 100's of points of data a second, so a normal excel file is not a suitable data structure, and it requires a database - in this case of Venus-docker-Grafana it is using influxdb.

From that database (once you set the specific parameters you wish to see and the time period) then it is possible to export to CSV for viewing in excel.

There is another alternative, If you are logging the Venus VRM database to an external storage like a microSD card or USB stick connected to the GX device, there is a conversion tool. This follows the VRM rules, so much fewer datapoint (typically between 1 per minute to 1 per hour).

This allows that locally stored database that would normally go to VRM, to be converted into an excel file by using the VictronConnect database conversion tool - but this is a manual process to trigger the conversion.

Be careful of larger databases, as the amount of content can be enormous and difficult to manage within excel.

0 Likes 0 ·
joel-cherian avatar image joel-cherian Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) ♦♦ commented ·

Thanks a lot for the explanation!!

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

And dont forget the other option: it can store data on an sdcard or usb stick, which you can then take out and convert to excel using our VictronConnect app. Thats also a commonly used method for offgrid systems.

see the Cerbo manual

2 |3000