question

roger-munford avatar image
roger-munford asked

How to create a non priority circuit that is isolated depending on SOC

I am building a solar system with main components quattro,, ccgx and 48V BYD batteries. This feeds two circuits, one prioritised always on and the other only on when there is plenty of charge in the batteries. My thinking is that a relay either in the quattro or ccgx can drive a contactor which switches the non priority circuit. The loads will be LED lighting, computers and personal electronics.It appears that the victron relays have a maximum voltage of 60V so a contactor with a 48V dc coil should be OK. It wasn't easy but I found the Schneider LC1D40AED which would fit the bill. It is 3p when I only need 2 and it is also hard to come by and I would like it asap.

I am a newcomer to the Victron world (but enjoying it) and there might be a slicker easier solution out there.

I would be very grateful for any guidance from anybody with experience.

Thank you

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @Roger Munford,

Welcome to the community.

First thing I would recommend is to use the Cerbo GX with GX touch, it has superseded the CCGX.

The good news is that the system already comes included with the relay and contactor - there is no need for additional components.

It is the ACout2 connection on your Quattro.

The ACout1 is permanently connected while the inverter is on.

The ACout2 connection can be programmed to perform exactly as you describe.

For more information I would recommend creating a Victron Professional account and watching the Online Training program - http://professional.victronenergy.com/online-training/ - specifically the training on MultiPlus(Quattro), and Assistants.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

roger-munford avatar image
roger-munford answered ·

Thank you very much Guy. The Training videos are a goldmine for me.

One quick question. We are using a fronius inverter for the solar. The priority circuit (AC1) supplies a maternity unit so they want power 24 hours a day. The non priority circuit (AC2) supplies offices during the day and recreation like a TV during the evening. Am I correct in assuming that if the fronius is connected to the priority circuit the solar power will be available on the non priority circuit when the relay is closed.

Thank you very much

1 comment
2 |3000

That is correct, when the ACout2 relay is closed, it is connected to the same circuit as the ACout1 and in this case your AC PV inverter.

Note it is strongly recommended to have a DC MPPT in the system as well. This will provide black start protection if the battery runs flat, and the inverter switches off, and the AC PV inverter is unable to start up.

There is an AC PV Online training in Victron Professional too, and this webinar recording goes into even more details - https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fm6FdpClLBo - I start speaking at about the 32 minute point.

0 Likes 0 ·