question

monse53 avatar image
monse53 asked

Digital VE.Direct TX pin-out

I want to use my SmartSolar controller to control consumption, so I bought a VE.Direct data cable which I will connect to a relay that shall switch on when battery voltage reaches a certain level. But I can not find anywhere what signal is coming out (do not have the controller here). Is it TTL, open-drain / collector, 5V, 12V - and how many mA can it sink / source?

VE.Direct
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
wkirby avatar image
wkirby answered ·

It is 5V TTL for the MPPT's. BMV is 3.3V TTL for what it's worth to you.
On my MPPT, the Tx pin is open drain (2N7002) via a 1K series resistor, so not very much current before the 1K resistor starts dropping significant Voltage over it.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

monse53 avatar image monse53 commented ·

Thanks a lot. Just to be sure: I've set Tx port to 'Virtual load output'. Then 'Load output' is set to 'User def. algoritm 1', with 'Load switch high voltage level' set to 13.8V. Am I right in assuming that when battery reaches this level, then the output transistor will switch ON, thus pulling the Tx pin DOWN? I'm asking because I cannot test it here...

0 Likes 0 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ monse53 commented ·

Well, upon closer inspection, the MOSFET is configured as a level shifter. Of course, the μC is running at 3V3, and the VE.Direct is TTL 5V, so not exactly open drain, drain is pulled up to 5V with a 10KΩ.
So, the 5V signal is not inverted with respect to the μC output.

Therefore, with the Tx function set to Virtual load output, on = 5V.

0 Likes 0 ·
monse53 avatar image monse53 wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

Ok, thanks. That makes controlling a 12V relay a bit easier - just feed through a resistor into a darlington NPN.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources