question

joanes-banko avatar image
joanes-banko asked

I am new in Victron world...Is there some system configurator in Victron? I want to make 100% off grid system.

I have 10 pcs CS3L 375W Canadian solar, Multi plus II GX 48/5000/70 inverter, Smart 250/100 Tr VE. can regulator and BMW 712 and 3Kw generator. Do I need anything else? Where I can find connection scheme? I must buy also battery bank, I planned first 5Kw pylontech, later I can add additional 2,5 Kw. I am worry about properly charhing battery bank.

Thank you very much for all your answers!

Multiplus-II
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

What are your expected daily loads?

Where are you located??

0 Likes 0 ·
joanes-banko avatar image joanes-banko klim8skeptic ♦ commented ·

Daily loads in high season will be 10 hour 100W fridge, 2hour 50W TV set, 2 hour 900W aircondition, 3 hour lights 50W. Average about 3 Kw per day. Some electric tools occasionally short times. I need powerfull inverter for starting AC hand tool motors. Location is on Adriatic coast near Pula , Istria, Croatia, summer cottage. I am in doubt what to choose from Victron, not to lock later expansion of the system in the early beggining. System must be 100% off grid with 3Kw generator for backup. I take powerfull PV array which is capable to run daily load by himself and all what is more go to the battery. I will try to discharge the battery just up to 20% in the night for fridge and maybe TV, for battery long lasting. The PV array is looking too strong for 7,5 Kw battery bank but i can program charging current not to be too big for battery. I hope that is true and I can make in Victron MP II GX programing.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

You should look for a local dealer/installer and ask him for advice. This community is not a place for system design help.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

joanes-banko avatar image
joanes-banko answered ·

I am installer. Working with Solar edge on grid net mettering systems. Now one customer wants to have one phase off grid system with enough power to connect all types of home appliances and house working el. tools. Solar edge not have such powerfull one phase inverters. So I try to do with Victron.

Dealers here in Slovenia, we have two of them, but give me some offer which is not good enough for me. Too complicated, too much components, too expensive.. I do not trust them anymore.. I already designed the system. Ten pieces 375 W PV modules =3750 W PV power in two string with 200V each in paralel to Smart 250/100 tr ve. Can. Than Multi plus II GX 48/5000/70 which already have GX included to connect on to Pylon tech 3x 2500W battery with CAN comunicating port. But I want to have confirmation before I will buy components. It is problem with multiplus II GX, it is relatively new and I could not find electric scheme with him and pylontech batteryies. I am in doubt if I go with Multiplus II GX or With Multiplus II and Cerbo GX, because if later wants to expand the system with additional solar charger, to have options open..? Maybe someone knows where I can find connection variations with multiplus II GX ? Thank you hundreed times for everyone which can give me some answers..

2 comments
2 |3000

seb71 avatar image seb71 commented ·

Get separate components: non-GX inverter and Cerbo GX (without the display).

0 Likes 0 ·
Warwick Bruce Chapman avatar image Warwick Bruce Chapman seb71 commented ·

Agree. Price is the same. Rather get a Cerbo. I hate working on MultiPlus GX.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Joanes banko

Official Victron documentation: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/battery_compatibility:pylontech_phantom

This lacks mention of the Multi II GX. And note the need for a special CAN cable to connect the Pylons to the 'VE.Can' port of the standalone GX's.

But the Multi II has a "BMS-can" port, specific mention that it isn't the same as 'VE.Can' is in the datasheet: https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-MultiPlus-II-GX-inverter-charger-EN.pdf

So I'd expect there's no need for the adaptor cable, and the Pylon hookup should be just a plugin with the stock Pylon RJ45 can cable.

Edited/ Forget the small writing comment. My mistake..

6 comments
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

No, you still need the type B cable to connect the Pylontech to the BMS-Can port.

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

You're quite right. For anyone wondering, an explanation in the Notes (#14 on) here: https://www.victronenergy.com/live/venus-os:start

0 Likes 0 ·
joanes-banko avatar image joanes-banko Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

Thank you for your reply. Yes I must connect BMS Can on multiplus II GX with BMS Can on pylontech. But also Smart 250/100tr Ve Can must be connected to Multiplus II GX. Should I use Ve direct connector on both devices? Is multiplus II GX compatible just with one MPPT charger? Is it better to go with Multiplus II and Cerbo GX to have later more options open... Thank you again for your answer and best regards!

0 Likes 0 ·
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ joanes-banko commented ·

The MP-II GX only have BMS-Can port (with 500kbit/s), and not the VE.Can (250kbis/s).
If you want to use multiple MPPT charger you could use the VE.direct to USB cable and an (active) USB-Hub or you use the Cerbo instead.

The Cerbo has separate BMS-Can and VE.Can ports.

0 Likes 0 ·
joanes-banko avatar image joanes-banko commented ·

Thank you for your answer. Yes I find out that in some Victron pictures are by mistake writen for multi plusII GX, on two left top RJ 45 connectors VE Can. In some correct pictures is written BMS can what is correct. I think the Victron moderator should remove this wrong pictures from the net.. This BMS Can are different then VE Can and not compatible between. So I understand that I must connect This RJ 45 Bms Can on multi II GX with Can RJ45 connector on the last Pylontech batery. But where I must connect Smart 250/100 tr ve can PV MPPT charger to Multiplus II GX? The RJ45 communication

port on Smart are two VE can s and in multi is not some RJ45 connector with same name? There is two Ve bus and ve direct but nowhere is VE can. Is that mean that newest Smart 250/100 tr Ve can is not compatible with Multiplus II GX? Or I must use Ve direct on Smart MPPT and just one Ve direct on Multiplus II GX? I am surprised that I can not find this on some Victron pages. Is that also mean that we can connect just one MPPT charger to Multiplus II GX?

Thank you again for your reply and best regards!

0 Likes 0 ·
JohnC avatar image JohnC ♦ joanes-banko commented ·

@Joanes banko

You could use the usb port (even with a powered hub) to expand VE.Direct connections. A cable adapter necessary there too.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic