question

fallguy1000 avatar image
fallguy1000 asked

Victron Multiplus Output

I have a Victron Multiplus compact 24v/2000w/120v unit.

My AC input is 30amps which is a #10 wire.

The battery side will be up to 4 agm batteries at 24 v, probably 2-300 amp hours ( I forget, doesn't matter).

I am a little confused about output wiring. I want to send the output to a small AC distribution panel with 6 circuits, all are 15amp maximum. EZ

The specifications for the unit say that I must supply the proper cabling AND an earth leakage circuit breaker must be included in series with the AC output. It appears that would be up to 47amps which makes ZERO sense because the unit produces only 2000w at 120v. A 50 amp GFCI breaker? This would trip all the circuits in the entire panel. Is this desired?

And, do I need to exceed the wire sizing of the incoming AC loads, so I would actually need to size up the AC out to a #6 wire against an incoming #10? Sort of seems odd, but if the batteries can output more current than the incoming power, I understand. Just need to be sure. Alternatively, I can run everything with #6 wire in case I every upgrade, but #6 wire seems excessive for what I have planned.

If someone has 50 amps incoming, are they setting this thing up for 70 amps, and wiring to the AC panel with a 70 amp wire and putting 70 amp GFCI in series before the panel? Seems strange. Thanks. In traditional home wiring, all circuits require GFCI load protection and thus an individual circuit would trip, not the entire panel...etc

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Kevin Windrem avatar image
Kevin Windrem answered ·

The extra output current comes from "Power Assist": the inverter output can ADD to the incoming AC power. The transfer switch is capable of 50 amps so you could end up with about 63 amps continuous (~80 amps peak) at the output of the Multi.

You should look at your total SIMULTANEOUS load, not the breaker sizes in determining your power needs, then work back from there. Your wiring wiring needs to be sized for that load (plus a margin). Then protect the WIRING with an appropriately sized master breaker/GFCI.

I considered a 40 amp output from my Multi Compact with 30 amps in to take advantage of Power Assist but in the end decided to go with a 30 amp main breaker at the output of the Multi. The additional 10 amps really didn't buy me the ability to run more stuff in my RV.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.