question

mikeebrown avatar image
mikeebrown asked

Washing machine runs on multiplus from batteries but not when charging from generator

So, I seem to have the opposite problem to everybody else. I have a 24/5000 multiplus and 838ah FLA

Multiplus runs my washing machine perfectly off the batteries, including heating the water.

As soon as I connect my generator to charge, the washing machine fails in varying degrees. It sometimes resets the cycle, LEDs come on and off and there doesn't seem to be any set regime to it, it throws up the problems when the batteries are charging or in float.

This is frustrating because I have to run the washer off the batteries, which, during the heating cycle, if there's no solar, pulls the voltage down to below where I feel safe. I cannot supplement with gen power and so have to pause the wash cycle to let the batteries recover, and then let it continue heating the water.

Is this a generator frequency problem? Is there a way to stop the multiplus passing through the gen power, use the gen solely to charge and invert the power from the batteries? I know this is wasteful but it seems my only option.

This leads to my last question, what voltage is it safe to draw my batteries down to when heating water. Given that once the element in the washer is off, the batteries bounce back to 25.4/5 in a matter of minutes, but if allowed to heat for the full duration the voltage could be as low as 23.6. I cannot find any info on what is a safe voltage for quick but heavy discharge. The victron low battery cut out is 18v which seems very low!

TIA

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
porcini avatar image
porcini answered ·

Hello,

yes, this could be a frequency problem. Unfortunately this problem can't be solved by the multiplus. There are two options. The first one would be to use an additional external charger instead of the multiplus. The second one would be to exchange the generator to an inverter one.

regards,

porcini

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mikeebrown avatar image mikeebrown commented ·

Thanks, looks like this is my problem shame I can't do anything about it, but it only effects me on dull days! I put in a hot water feed today so can fill the washer from that and give the inverter a rest!

0 Likes 0 ·
hummingbear avatar image
hummingbear answered ·

If you have a way to monitor the Multiplus output when the generator is on, that would be very helpful. Either with the VE Configure software for windows (plugged into your laptop), or via the Victron app and a bluetooth addition to the Multiplus. Then you can monitor the AC Output Voltage and Frequency it's passing on from the Generator.

If you don't have any of those monitoring devices you can use a Multimeter. Put the terminals in an AC Outlet when the generator is on and Turn the dial to Hz to monitor frequency. With that info it'll be a lot easier to determine what might be going on.

A clarifying question, do you turn your Generator on Mid-cycle or before? I ask because turning it on mid-cycle might cause issues when the multiplus is first syncing frequency/voltage to the generator. Turning it on before starting the cycle might resolve that. I occasionally have had my dryer stop when I start my generator mid-cycle.

Regarding a safe voltage for your batteries...that's determined by the manufacturer of the batteries and what kind of batteries they are. Yes 18v cutoff is low, you could and probably should raise that. I generally do not like to run loads for very long if they bring my batteries down below 24v, but I have old Flooded Lead-Acid batteries and I'm trying to prolong their life.

4 comments
2 |3000

Thanks for the response Hummingbear, I have ve configure on my laptop so will have a look when I run the set later.

I always have the set running before starting the washer cycle .

My batteries are flooded lead acid with a tubular positive, at the moment I have LBCO set for 23.8. annoyingly I think it's only the very end of the heat cycle that takes it below 24v hence me wondering if I'm actually safe. I'll get I touch with the retailer and see if they can give me a better idea.

Many thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·

Hi Hummingbear,

Frequency bounces around between 45 and 49hz on the output, oddly the input from the set seems slightly closer to 50 than the output on the multiplus.

Guess this is my problem then, anything to be done about it? I'm guessing not!

Cheers

0 Likes 0 ·
hummingbear avatar image hummingbear mikeebrown commented ·

Are you North America @ 60hz, or everywhere else in the world that uses 50hz? If you're 60Hz that is obv too low. If you're 50hz that still would probably cause issues going down to 45.

I don't know your generator but it might be something you can adjust/fix on there, but yeah that would be my guess for your problem.

0 Likes 0 ·
hummingbear avatar image hummingbear hummingbear commented ·

One option you might consider on the Multiplus is setting the cutoff at 50hz. if the generator goes below it will cut power back to the batteries. that might be annoying if it's jumping back and forth but at least it might keep your wash going!

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Mikee ! Try to run your washing machine without heating the water (cold washing), and see how it goes with your generator.

I had an issue looking like yours, and it was related to a too powerful resistance, which was ruining my inverter. Since I run only cold washing, no more problems.

Give it a try, and if you have a way to put a wattmeter in-line, you may see how much the washing machine is using with and without using the heating resistance.

Michel

2 comments
2 |3000

Same effect with or without heat, I doesn't normally manage to turn the drum or complete the initial pumpout cycle. It's like the power gets turned on and off every few seconds. Thanks anyway though!

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg mikeebrown commented ·

Ok, this means the generator is not providing stable current. I had it too. You should exchange (sell your current generator), and buy a 3500W generator with Inverter, as it will provide a stabilized current output, and you should get rid of the problem.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·