question

straightup avatar image
straightup asked

Inconsistency in documentation regarding MPPT Absorption calculation/multipliers

Less of a question but more of a point of note, quite likely relevant due to all the recent discussion about absorption time problems.

I noted today that even in my own SmartSolar manual, fresh off the website, the table provided for the absorption calculation is just for a fixed number of hours based on startup voltage. It has no mention of the 'multiplier' calculations at all:

However, in the website, somewhat obscurely squirreled away under the Victron LIve/Victron Connect pages, is this table, giving a far more in depth explanation of Absorption time and how to customize it (apparently) using the max absorption settings and the x2/3 / x1/3 / x 1/6 multipliers.

Is this latter table true acorss all MPPT controllers? If so, could it be that the people getting unexpected absorption times are simply unaware of this table, having only read the manual for their product and not hunted through the website?

@mvader (Victron Energy Staff) maybe this is something to look at on the next manuals update? I can't find the 2nd table in any of the Blue or SmartSolar pdf manuals - they all only have the first one

battery charging
absmanual.png (182.1 KiB)
websiteabs.png (152.6 KiB)
3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ commented ·

I think the explination about the multiplier is not in the 'standard' manual as the max time limit can only be configured/changed using VictronConnect. Accordingly it's only listed in the VictronConnect MPPT manual.

1 Like 1 ·
straightup avatar image straightup Mark ♦♦ commented ·

Hm, makes sense but still seems shortsighted. The MPPT manual itself references VictronConnect for customising settings on several occasions...it seems prudent to tell new owners "Hey this is how it's set by default, but IF you decide to, you CAN also adjust this yourself". There's obviously people looking for this information already - the controller manual is the first place they'd go.

0 Likes 0 ·
Mark avatar image Mark ♦♦ straightup commented ·

Yes, sometimes there are no 'perfect' solutions - if it were in the regular manual & someone had a 'blue solar' MPPT, then they might 'expect' this functionality & get upset that they need to 'spend more money' on a bluetooth dongle to access VictronConnect and perform the change.

Also where do you stop with what you include?

I don't mind either way, but I just do see the logic with the current arrangement...

For the majority of users/installs there is no need to make a deep level of adjustments - one of the integrated 'presets' normally work fine. Also many users that alter or want to alter the presets actually don't have the required experience or understanding and as a result unintentionally end up doing more harm than good.

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi; thanks for reporting this! we’ll fix it in the manuals. Matthijs

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Ps. Yes this is across the range

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic