question

Nick A avatar image
Nick A asked

Raspberry Pi 3A+: VRM Portal ID Missing

Just sharing this info, b/c I wasn't able to find a solution online...

I recently installed the Venus OS Large image on a Rpi3A+, after downgrading from a Rpi4 due to power consumption. The VRM Portal ID was always blank, so that portion never worked. Since there isn't an ethernet port, the script in "/sbin/get-unique-id" never gave a proper MAC address. By updating the script to check the WiFi interface, first, I was able to get a valid VRM Portal ID, and everything works as expected.

#!/bin/sh

ETH_ADDR=/sys/class/net/eth0/address
WLAN_ADDR=/sys/class/net/wlan0/address

if [ -f "$WLAN_ADDR" ]; then
    sed -e 's,:,,g' "$WLAN_ADDR"
else
    sed -e 's,:,,g' "$ETH_ADDR"
fi

Hope this helps others!

Raspberry Pi
2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

danner85 avatar image danner85 commented ·

I have the same problem, but i am very inexpert in coding, could someone explain me how to do this mod? How can i update the original script?

1 Like 1 ·
scotty306 avatar image scotty306 commented ·

I also have a Rpi3A+,

i have managed to get wifi working (using connmanctl over serial ssh),
but i have the same issue with the VRM ID not using the Wifi MAC address.

Can someone please help with how to update the above script into /sbin/get_unique_id/

Thanks

0 Likes 0 ·
4 Answers
marc-kelly avatar image
marc-kelly answered ·

Thanks for this.

And for others searching later, connect wifi to the Raspberry Pi 3 A+ using connmanctl. See 1621157917840.png

1621157917840.png (3.1 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

qubeck avatar image
qubeck answered ·

Maybe it can find its way into the official distro. In a slightly different, more compatible, version of course:

#!/bin/sh

ETH_DEV_SCN=/sys/class/net/eth0

WLAN_DEV_SCN=/sys/class/net/wlan0

if [ -d "$ETH_DEV_SCN" ]; then

SCN_DEV_ADDR="$ETH_DEV_SCN/address"

else

SCN_DEV_ADDR="$WLAN_DEV_SCN/address"

fi

sed -e 's,:,,g' $SCN_DEV_ADDR

This way the sysfs path always defaults to "eth0" if it is actually available.

@mvader (Victron Energy) : If there is an interest in also supporting boards w.o. eth0 as well...

1 comment
2 |3000

pierresmits avatar image pierresmits commented ·
I would very much appreciate it if this could make it into the 3.0 release. Especially since the limited availabilty of PI 3B+ and P4, this PI 3A (combined with a usb-hub) is a good alternative.

Best regards,

Pierre

2 Likes 2 ·
buddhafragt avatar image
buddhafragt answered ·

Hello,

with 2.9 it is not working... is there a solution?

2 |3000

felix-schuchmann avatar image
felix-schuchmann answered ·

Just installing a new 3 A+ with Firmware v3.00 and it has a different script. I've just added the board inentifier

raspberrypi,3-model-b-plus

for the 3 A+ and this works for me:

case $(board-compat) in
    raspberrypi,model-zero-w | raspberrypi,model-zero-2-w | raspberrypi,3-model-b-plus)
         if="wlan0"
         ;;
    *)
         if="eth0"
         ;;
esac

sed -e 's,:,,g' "/sys/class/net/$if/addres
1 comment
2 |3000

heke avatar image heke commented ·
Works perfect with v 3.13 Thanks.
0 Likes 0 ·