question

nelisvolschenk avatar image
nelisvolschenk asked

Inverter voltage and frequency response on power failure

I have two separate systems where I experience the same problem. Both with Quattro inverters and with a grid-tied solar on the output side of the Victron inverters. In one system it is a Sunnyboy solar inverter and on the other, it is a Fronius. When the grid fails and the system goes into invert mode the solar inverter shuts down momentarily. I think this is because the municipal voltage varies quite a bit and when the grid fails the inverters instantly switch to an output voltage of 230V instead of the 240V that was supplied by the municipality, which will then cause the phase-locked loop in the solar inverter to lose synchronization and shut down. The municipal supply voltage can vary quite a bit, unfortunately, and as such the situation of a difference between the supply voltage and the Victron's voltage cannot be completely eliminated.

My question is this: What is the voltage and frequency output response of the inverters during a grid failure? Does it shift to the set voltage gradually over the course of several seconds or is it instantaneous?

Also, any thoughts on solving the problem of the solar inverter switching off would be greatly appreciated.

ESSfrequency
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
michelg avatar image
michelg answered ·

Hi Nelisvolschenk, I do use a Phoenix Inverter, and you can chose the output voltage through a setting. I believe you can probably do the same on the Quattros using a software and and USB link (MK3 ? ).

You will get probably more detailled answers by users having this kind of hardware.

Michel

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

What is ESS training video

ESS Quick Installation Guide

ESS design and installation manual

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic