question

d1trout avatar image
d1trout asked

Bmv712 smart not displaying any history

It only gives me the current state of my batteries. What to do?

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

5 Answers
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hello D1trout,

The range of history data that the BMV-712 stores is listed on page 32 of the manual.

Enter history data by pressing the SELECT button when in normal mode. Press + or – to browse the various parameters.
Press SELECT again to stop scrolling and show the value.
Press + or – to browse the various values.

Press SELECT again to leave the historical menu and go back to normal operation mode.

The parameters saved on the internal limited memory are:

Victron MPPTs are able to store 30 days of data.

For full data history, one of the additional data products is required (either a Venus device or some way to get the BMV instantaneous readings to storage on the internet like a LoRaWan Gateway)

bmv-data.jpg (446.8 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

d1trout avatar image
d1trout answered ·

Guy, thanks for your prompt reply. Attached is a pic of my screen. This is all I ever see in the History window of my 712. When I press Select and scroll thru the functions there, I have no values displayed.

In other words, the 712 tells me the current state of my batteries but nothing more and no history.

Have I made an error in installation? Is there a malfunction in the unit?

Thanks for your help.

Dick

1 comment
2 |3000

Scott Clark avatar image Scott Clark commented ·

Hi D1trout,

I am assuming you are receiving the compete live status of the battery, SOC Ah, etc.

Can you please provide a picture of the shunt connection?

0 Likes 0 ·
d1trout avatar image
d1trout answered ·

Victronguy, attached is the shunt picture. This system is 12 volts and is installed in a camper. I’m beginning to think the connections are reversed. The single black wire on the right side goes to the negative terminal of my Samlex 50 amp battery charger. The left side wires are white to the truck electrical system, orange to the breaker panel ground, and big black to the battery bank negative terminal. The quick installation guide that came with the monitor showed connections for the 700 and the 702 so I was a bit uncertain about the 712 Smart... Thanks for your help.

2 |3000

thorenj avatar image
thorenj answered ·

You have connected the white and the orange wires on the wrong side, they should be on the other side of the shunt (marked "Load" on the PCB), together with the charger. The only connection to the side marked "Battery" should be the negative side of the battery bank.

Preferably, you should move the charger, as well as the smaller wires, to a bus bar, which is in turn connected to the "Load" side of the shunt.

Regarding connections in the manual; the 712 and the 702 are identical, except for the Bluetooth connection, so use the examples for the 702.

2 |3000

d1trout avatar image
d1trout answered ·

Thorenj, thank you for your reply. I actually figured out my mistake yesterday and switched the wires to the correct sides. Voila! The monitor works and I have history. And I didn’t short anything out in the process...

Thanks again.

1 comment
2 |3000

thorenj avatar image thorenj commented ·

Great! I'm glad you got it to work properly.

If you haven't done so already, consider connecting the "B2" terminal on the shunt to the positive side of the truck battery (with a fuse). By doing that, you'll get a reading of the truck battery voltage as well.

0 Likes 0 ·