question

Dave avatar image
Dave asked

BMV 712 Average Discharge Data Not Displayed In Victron Connect App

Dear group

As the title suggests, I have an issue where the data for average discharge remains at 0ah regardless of how many synchronisations have occurred.

I have played around with various settings & given the system time (days & weeks) to calculate & display this useful little nugget of information, but all I get is 0ah.

I am currently running 4 x 120ah flooded lead-acid batteries.

The BMV 712 is up to date (at the time of writing) & the android phone VictronConnect app is also up to date.

Thank you for reading.

BMV Battery Monitor
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Anil Ghatikar avatar image
Anil Ghatikar answered ·

Hello,

How many cycles the BMV has calculated - The cycle is counted only when battery is discharged below 65 % . It may be that the cycle count has not changed so the AVG figure does not appear

from User manual 3.3

Average discharge - The average discharge over all the cycles counted Amp hours

Number of cycles - Every time the battery is discharged below 65% of its rated capacity and charged back to at least 90%, one cycle is counted

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi @ghatikar, thanks for the help.

Hi @Dave_Hill, does the BMV itself show an average discharge? Or do both VictronConnect and the BMV not show it?

As @ghatikar said; the average discharge uses the cycle counting, which has quite a strict definition. I always advise to look at the total charged and total discharged energy instead. Or, if you prefer amp-hours over watts, then look at the cumulative amp hour counter.

They are a much more reliable ‘Odo meter’ for your battery than the cycle counts.

I hope this helps, if it does, please click the ‘accepted answer’ button, so future people with the same question can also easily find it.

2 |3000

Dave avatar image
Dave answered ·

Hi @ghatikar

That is interesting to know. Below 65% is quite a deep discharge I think & I would never let them go anywhere near that, before initiating a charge.

Hi @mvader

I am not sure that I understand what you mean. In fact I am sure (I don't) :-)

2 comments
2 |3000

Anil Ghatikar avatar image Anil Ghatikar commented ·
it is very common to have batteries designed discharge 50 % every day.( even 100% in case of lithium or flow batteries ) anything less and you might get more life out of them but their investment may not be worth it. you might as well have used smaller batteries,

off course, the design decisions are individual taste and preferences. personally, I also don't go below 70% soc but mainly because grid failures are common in Africa

0 Likes 0 ·
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image mvader (Victron Energy) ♦♦ commented ·

Hi Dave, my advice is to look at the cumulative amp hour counter. Instead of the average discharge.

I hope that is clearer.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic