question

seahaul avatar image
seahaul asked

170 Ah AGM Supercycle as starter

Hello, I have a Victron AGM Supercycle 170 Ah battery that i am moving from my house battery as i got lithium. Can I use it as a starter battery for my Yanmar 4JHE. The specs say it has 600 CCA which is super low for a battery that big.

thanks.

starter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
jwfrary avatar image
jwfrary answered ·

I mean you can but it probably won’t last long or be very good in comparison to dedicated starter battery that’s designed for the job.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

alan avatar image
alan answered ·

it will be fine provided the CCA is within the starter requirements.
A draw is no different between anything, ie inverter, starter, bow thruster, winch etc... its all draw.

The difference between a start vs Supercycle/Deep cycle is CCA, as you have found and discharge cycle life.
A start battery is designed to give off large current, for the size, vs DOD availability, and function working on being drawn to 98% soc. o using 2%.

AGM deep cycle has a lower current availability, but can be cycled many times to 50%.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic