question

will-bunce avatar image
will-bunce asked

How do i connect easy solar multiplus to starter battery?

Section 4.4.1 in the manual states “The Multiplus compact has a connection (+) for charging a starter battery. For connection see appendix 1”

My questions are;

Where is apppendix 1? (Not visible in appendix A)

Never mind appendix 1, where is the connection?!

All other questions on this forum seem to be advised to buy yet more victron products- a cryx - but if the manual is correct this is not necessary and is simply victron trying to sell more needless products.

If I just connect the two banks with a jump lead they will equalise, could I simply hard wire this with correctly rated cable? but is this bad practice or unsafe when using a sterling Alternator to battery charger which prioritises starter battery thus negating the priority charge process. The cryx or a cheaper simple relay would get around this, but given the functionality built in to the multiplus already I woukd like to take advantage of that. And avoids having to connect the banks.

Thanks in advance!

W

starter battery
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Which EasySolar do you have? 1600 VA or 3000VA?

In the 1600VA the starter battery connector should be on the right side next to the positive main battery connector.

In the 3000VA it should be between the positive and negative main battery connector, next to the GND-relay DIP-switch.

(look into the manuals of the normal MultiPlus 1600 or 3000.)

But attention: As far as I know this connector is not a real charging output, it is some kind of transistor and can only deliver about 4A(you should install a fuse with 4 or 5A).

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Yes. my Easy 5000 box has a 'TRICKLE CHARGE' label on the board, but there's a gap there in amongst the other terminal blocks - nothing to plug into..

1 comment
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

Is it by any chance a 48V version? those don't have that connection.

0 Likes 0 ·
will-bunce avatar image
will-bunce answered ·

I did ,amage to connect the axillary trickle charge using said output. Thanks for the help!

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic