question

sbulloch avatar image
sbulloch asked

Multiplus 12/1600/70 Remote Switch

I have a Multiplus 12/1600/70 which is one of the new compact models. I've read the manual posted here https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Manual-MultiPlus-1600VA-EN-NL-FR-DE-ES-IT.pdf but the section on remote switching is very unclear.

Section 4.4.3 should detail the remote switch functionality but it's very light and refers you to section 5.4 for DIP switch settings but there is no mention at all about the remote switch.

4.4.3 Remote Control

The product can be remotely controlled in two ways: -

With an external on/off switch (Remove Link “Remote Switch connector H”) -

With a Multi Control Panel Please see section 5.4 for appropriate DIP switch settings.

What I'd really like to know is do I have to use a basic switch or can I bring one of the pins to 12v and make it work like some other Victron products? If I can it would be very helpful as I can have an LED on the remote switch to make it obvious it's on.

Oddly (to me anyway) the 1600 only has two pins for remote switching but all the other models have 3 with a wiring diagram that shows how to do Off/On/Charger only.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
9 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kaarthik avatar image kaarthik commented ·

Remote switch is potential free contacts you can use normal on off switch for those.

Regarding off/on/charge only switch in the inverter which is premounted on the inverter for turn on and off ,(charge only - (inverter portion off only on with charger))

0 Likes 0 ·
sbulloch avatar image sbulloch kaarthik commented ·

I know I can use a simple switch but I’d like to be able to power an LED on the switch to show it’s on as the multiplus is in a cupboard. I don’t understand why this model is unique in its remote switch design.

0 Likes 0 ·
klim8skeptic avatar image klim8skeptic ♦ sbulloch commented ·

With a bit of imagination a DPST switch could be used.

0 Likes 0 ·
zuzullo avatar image zuzullo commented ·

Wow, finally someone with the same problem. It took me weeks to configure my remote switch properly. The problem was an error in the manual. And victron was telling me to contact a professional installer :( Make sure you have the latest version.

Then, I solved the second issue (of the led lights not showing up on the remote switch) buy instaling this DPST switch: https://www.amazon.de/Taiss-wasserdichte-Position-Kippschalter-KCD4-203N-BK/dp/B07V35LB7M/ref=pd_sim_107_1/262-5915788-1374103?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B07V35LB7M&pd_rd_r=1b17bc7a-17ce-4d73-a950-18273096ef95&pd_rd_w=uvf5F&pd_rd_wg=MxdUm&pf_rd_p=680d162d-dba8-48a0-bc3b-7538237278ac&pf_rd_r=07GWP1Q7T8C1QKGTE4AF&psc=1&refRID=07GWP1Q7T8C1QKGTE4AF

If you need more info, I am happy to help.

0 Likes 0 ·
jelle avatar image jelle zuzullo commented ·

Although my question is only slightly related. I hope you might be able to help me:
I want to install a similar three way switch similar to the one you linked to a multiplus 800. What I am unable to find anywhere, is what size wire I should use to connect the switch to the multiplus?
And also it there are recommendations for fuse size (other thanthe maximum based on the wire size)?

0 Likes 0 ·
tomf avatar image tomf zuzullo commented ·

@zuzullo, I have also such 3 way switch with 6 legs,

I documentation I have slot with:

1 = charge only
2 = middle terminal (gnd!)
3 = on

How to connect this switch. I would like to confirm.

Charge Only
off
on
Slot 1 (+12V)
Slot 2 (- gnd)
Slot 3 (+0V)
Slot 1 (+0V)
Slot 2 (- gnd)
Slot 3 (+0V)
Slot 1 (+0V)
Slot 2 (- gnd)
Slot 3 (+12V)

Best
Tom

0 Likes 0 ·
tomf avatar image tomf tomf commented ·

Ok It was stupid question :). Signal is (-)

Charge Only
off
on
Slot 1 (-)
Slot 2 (-)
Slot 3 (0)
Slot 1 (0)
Slot 2 (-)
Slot 3 (0)
Slot 1 (0)
Slot 2 (-)
Slot 3 (-)

0 Likes 0 ·
Todor Neshev avatar image Todor Neshev zuzullo commented ·
Do you know a way to force the inverter stop using batteries and switch to main AC grid using that remote switch ? I do not need a charger option just a good way to make pre-alarm switch something to stop using batteries.
0 Likes 0 ·
sowler avatar image sowler commented ·

It doesn't seem the main portion of this questions has been answered. Which is why does the 1600W model only have a 2 wire remote which means you can't remotely switch to charger only mode yet the other models you can? Seems strange.

0 Likes 0 ·
3 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

answered in other replys

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

kufel avatar image
kufel answered ·

Hi everyone. Just to clarify, multiplus 12/1600/70 cannot work with 3 way switch to be able to switch between On/Off/Charge Only? I am a bit lost in this conversation.

Cheers

2 |3000

KämpingVan Conversions OÜ avatar image
KämpingVan Conversions OÜ answered ·

According to the manual you have linked, it seems that yes, you cannot work the 3 way switch with this Multiplus 12/1600/70. On the page 133 in the manual, there is this overview of the connections, which shows the terminal H as being only remote on/off switchable. screenshot-2023-11-27-090925.png

BR,

KampingVan

2 |3000