question

wjm103052 avatar image
wjm103052 asked

Trouble Booting Venus on Pi 4 2GB

I am trying to get Venus running on a pi4 2gb with the 7" touchscreen. Using the latest venus large image from 1/13/21, it won't boot and fails with the error message that start4.elf is not compatible. I replaced the start4.elf with the latest version from raspberry github and it did boot to the raspberry pi login. I'm new to this and have no idea why that worked or if it broke something else.

The problem now is that it doesn't appear on my network so I can't ssh to it. Attaching a USB keyboard doesn't work either.

Before trying this I did run a standard pi release on it and everything worked fine so I'm confident my pi and its various connections are working.

Since I'm new to this I probably did something stupid. Would appreciate any help I could get with this.

Bill

Venus OSRaspberry Pi
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
mvader (Victron Energy) avatar image
mvader (Victron Energy) answered ·

Hi, this is a known issue on some rpi4s.

and just copying the elf file is unfortunately not enough.

I expect we’ll need a newer kernel or something. But right know no one at victron can take care of it: I’m hoping for someone to come along here on community or on the developers mailinglist to look into it further.

There are some other threads about this in modification as well.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

wjm103052 avatar image
wjm103052 answered ·

Thanks. Have a pi3 coming tomorrow so I won't be completely stuck for now.

2 |3000