question

donaldn01 avatar image
donaldn01 asked

Solar panels and BVM 712

My RV has two 12 volt lead acid batteries (in parralel) connected to a BVM 712. I am considering using stand alone solar panels to charge the batteries in situations where generators are not allowed. The solar panels I am cosidering are 4 - 25 watt panels in series connected to a controller. The contoller has alligator style clip that are meant to go directly on the battery terminals. I know that if I do that the BVM will not see any incoming voltage and therefore be inacurate. Can I connect the Positive clamp to the battery and the negative clamp to the load side of the shunt, and then the BVM would "see" the incoming volts? Thanks for any help or suggestions.

Solar Panel
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @donaldN01,

not the recommended way to connect a charger with clamps to the battery or the shunt. I don't wanna talk about risk and safety. Guess you know that already. I suggest making a fixed connection with Anderson plugs. Advantage: you can easily disconnect your charger from the battery.

But to answer your question: yes, it is possible to connect it the way you want.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

donaldn01 avatar image
donaldn01 answered ·

Yes I was going to install some type of plug to connect and disconnect the panels. I was concerned about the connection points and the monitor being aware of the "incomming" volts. I also thought I read somewhere about if clouds pass over the panels and the incomming voltage drops below the 4% tail current, the monitor assumes the batteries are full and gives a false 100% reading. Any thoughts on this?

1 comment
2 |3000

There is more than the tail current for the BMV to determine state of charge. For example charged voltage. If the solar charger is your only charge course, keep it high, maybe close to absorption voltage. For tail current I would start with 1% and then see how and when the BMV syncs.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic