question

craigtong avatar image
craigtong asked

Bluesolar MPPT 150/85 (VE.CAN) disables BlueSolar 150/60 (VE.Direct) charging with Color Control GX and ESS

Greetings

I have the following setup:

Multiplus II 48/5000/70 (v466) with Tsense, Vsense connected, VE.Bus from Color Control.
Bluesolar MPPT 150/85 VE.CAN (v2.05) without Tsense and Vsense connected, CAN from Color Control.
Bluesolar MPPT 150/60 VE.Direct (v1.50) VE.Direct from Color Control.
BMV-702 (v3.10) with Vmid-point connected, USB to VE.Direct from Color Control.
Color Control GX (v2.57) running ESS, Optimised with battery life and with DVCC.

The most recent addition is the 150/85 CAN MPPT and after connecting it, the system appears to throttle down the other VE.Direct 150/60 MPPT almost completely. If I turn on large loads the VE.Direct 150/60 MPPT will start briefly but soon stop charging completely.

As per this screenshot for example with a 2.4 kW AC load:

The 150/85 as displayed is running at its full connected PV capacity of just over 1 kW. The 150/60 MPPT can deliver about 2.5 kW of PV capacity, yet remains idle. As can be seen by the BMV current draw at the top, the battery is actually being run down even though there is adequate PV power available to cover this load and charge the battery.

This persisted beyond the system going into Bulk with the 150/60 MPPT not providing any sort of significant charge.

When I unplugged the CAN connection to the 150/85 MPPT, the 150/60 MPPT woke up and started delivering full power while the 150/85 continued to provide it's ~1 kW (running in standalone). Reconnecting the CAN reverts to the previous state with the 150/60 dropping to idle. This leads me to believe that this is not a premature Absorbtion/Float issue as I watched the system get to a proper float state rapidly with the CAN disconnected and the 150/85 running.

I have tried toggling DVCC completely as as well as all of it's sub-options to no avail.

Both MPPTs also have the same absorption and float voltage settings and follow very similar cable runs. The only caveat is that they connect to the main battery cable just outside the Multiplus's DC input and not to the battery posts but I don't see that this should be an issue especially given the Multiplus's shared V/T sense connections.

Any advice on how to make the 2 MPPTs deliver full power (at least in bulk) would be appreciated unless this scheme is not actually supported. It seems that it should be. Given that it works with 1 MPPT in external control and a second without.

Kind regards
Craig

MPPT ControllersESSCCGX Color Controlmppt charging
1596457426498.png (73.0 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
th0mas avatar image
th0mas answered ·

Hello,

I have actually the same issues. Did you have solved this problem?

Best regards

Thomas

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.