question

pmikep avatar image
pmikep asked

Why isn't the 24v Multiplus rated for more power out than its 12v brother?

More of a trivia question. I'm an EE, so I think I know the answer. Nevertheless, I'm surprised that the 24 V flavor of the Multiplus doesn't put out more power - or doesn't hold up better at high temperature - as its 12 V brother.

I was expecting, given half the current input for the same power out (and so less I^2*R loss), that the 24 V unit would be rated higher.

I presume that the bottleneck in output power is not the input side of the transformer, but rather the output side? (Since 3000 W at 120 VAC pushes the same amount of current through the transformer in both versions.)

Still, there shouldn't be as much heating of the transformer core proper, since the heat generated at load on the input side of a 24 V unit is less than the heat generated in a 12 V unit.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jesse avatar image Jesse commented ·

Actual performance might vary a bit from the ratings I wonder?

We need someone to do a side by side comparison!

0 Likes 0 ·
1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

The units insides are not the same, the power transfer FETS there are less of them on the 24 volt unit than the 12 volt version as far as I know so the ratings are kept the same.

there maybe other differences as well

well thats my 20 cents worth of a comment

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.