question

antarcticarian avatar image
antarcticarian asked

Voltage Sensitive Relay and Multiplus 3000

I'm planning to have three batteries (one is a bank of house batteries) on my narrowboat, with charging via shore power, engine alternators (x2), 600w solar panels and a MultiPlus 3000 inverter charger. The main charge will be for the bank of House batteries, but I will also be using AUX1 of the MultiPlus to trickle charge (4Amp) the Starter battery. My question: is it also possible to trickle charge the Bow Thruster battery via the same AUX1 of the MultiPlus via a 12v 140Amp Voltage Sensitive Relay on the positive charge cable between the Starter battery and Bow Thruster battery?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
JohnC avatar image
JohnC answered ·

Hi @Antarcticarian

It probably is, but 140A??

You already have 'voltage sensitivity' within the Multi, by virtue of onboard Assistants (if your firmware is up to it), so you could drive a small relay on a separate circuit from the trickle charger.

I do this with a 48V Multi (which doesn't have an onboard 12V trickle charger) by switching an Orion 48>12 converter when the 48V system reaches 53V. So it only happens under charge, but I do have 20A of charge into 675Ah of 12V batt.

1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

antarcticarian avatar image antarcticarian commented ·

Interesting, once installed I will update the firmware and see what options there are. I am also installing an VE Cerbo GX and GX Touch Screen, where the Cerbo has x2 relays which may also be an option. Looks like I have some reading to do. Thanks for your feedback, given me some ideas.

0 Likes 0 ·