question

georgeu avatar image
georgeu asked

Diversion load with Cerbo GX

Hello
I just installed a Smartsolar MPPT 100/50, Multiplus 24/3000/50 120V and Cerbo GX.
900 watts solar and 445Ah battery.
This is a backup system so I would like to keep the batteries charged all the time and consume the excess solar energy during the day. I would like to switch a DC load on (via SSR) when excess solar energy is available.

Can I access the MPPT virtual load signal using a VE.Direct TX digital output cable plugged into one of the VE.Direct ports on the Cerbo GX?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
1 comment
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgeu avatar image georgeu commented ·

I challenge anyone from Victron to help me.
I added a $500 Cerbo GX to an already expensive system and now am unable to access the virtual load signal from my MPPT. The manuals offer no information

0 Likes 0 ·
2 Answers
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

have a look in the Generator Autostart feature, as this turns the cerbo relay on and off under selected parameters. thus this maybe a easy way to turn a contactor or similar on and off for the DC load to turn on

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

georgeu avatar image
georgeu answered ·

Hello Paul - thanks for taking the time to post.

I dismissed the generator option because it would trigger on cloudy days resulting in my Multiplus charger continuously topping up the batteries meaning I would be powering my diversion load off of the grid.

The virtual load function in my Smartsolar would be ideal however the VE.direct port is connected to my Cerbo GX.

Can anyone confirm that I can access the MPPTs virtual load signal from an adjacent VE.Direct port on the Cerbo GX using a VE.Direct TX digital output cable?

2 comments
2 |3000

Paul B avatar image Paul B commented ·

another suggestion for you if this helps I don't know

is to using assistants in the Multiplus to say

Close the AC2 out relay when the battery voltage reaches say 27 volts and then to turn off if battery voltage drops to say 26 volts.

or use the aux 1 relay so that when its closed then AC out 2 is turned on and then when its open AC2 out is opened.

ac2 out can be controlled by assistants and there are also other relays that can also be controlled as well

0 Likes 0 ·
georgeu avatar image georgeu Paul B commented ·

Thanks Paul - I did explore the assistants in the Multiplus and dismissed those for the same reason as the Cerbo gen start because I only want to harvest excess solar. Using battery voltage or SOC won't prevent a diversion load triggering during cloudy days.

The virtual load smart algorithm in the Smartsolar MPPT is specifically designed for a diversion load. If I only had the MPPT in my system I could attach a VE.Direct digital cable to access the signal. I don't have that option with the Cerbo plugged into the MPPT Ve.Direct port.
@ Victron - how do I access the MPPT virtual load signal when Cerbo GX connected????

0 Likes 0 ·