question

tramp-truck avatar image
tramp-truck asked

SmartSolar 100/20 Bluetooth

When I go to the victron app (android samsung) the controller is listed, when I attempt to connect it goes to 20% and then cannot connect.

I have disconnected the controller overnight, done a fresh install of the app and a factory data reset on the phone, none of which worked.

Any advice or suggestions welcome, I'm out of ideas.

smart solar set-up help
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

10 Answers
Eddy avatar image
Eddy answered ·

I have no android phone, but I have seen this at some customers. While iPhones pop up the pairing message (6x „0“) in the first layer, some Android Phones pop them up in the background. This is the reason why it stops at 20% and is waiting for the code (normaly 000000). Look for it in the background of your mobile phone, enter the pairing code and proceed. After this it will connect to 100%.

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

tramp-truck avatar image tramp-truck commented ·

Thanks Eddy, I will try my wife's iPhone tomorrow

0 Likes 0 ·

Top of the class Eddy, my wife's iPhone connected straight away and did two firmware updates.

The Samsung however still gives the same result, I think the issue is its not asking for the pairing code, and nothing I'very done has encouraged it to do so.

Strange as it connects fine with my smart charger.

0 Likes 0 ·
Eddy avatar image Eddy tramp-truck commented ·

Great, I‘m happy I could help ..

0 Likes 0 ·
Eddy avatar image
Eddy answered ·

Is this the first time ever you try to connect with this android device?

2 comments
2 |3000

Yes it is. I previously had another android Samsung

0 Likes 0 ·

Yes it is.

0 Likes 0 ·
falco avatar image
falco answered ·

Go to "settings"and find the victron. Find "forget this device"or equivalent. And try connecting again

1 comment
2 |3000

Thanks, I've tried this but while it appears in the available devices list it's not paired. As far as I can see only paired devices can be removed

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

Have you tried long pressing the Bluetooth icon in your phone's quick settings menu to see if you are offered an option to connect with the pairing code?

Has Pairing code ever been changed for the controller?

I am sure Location permission for VictronConnect is on as it normally will nag you when opening app....right?

2 comments
2 |3000

Good thought, but long pressing takes me to the main Bluetooth menu

0 Likes 0 ·

Pairing code is default, if I had an option to connect with the pairing code I think it would solve the problem - but I am unable to get one.

At least I can use wife's iPhone for now

0 Likes 0 ·
frangar avatar image
frangar answered ·

That sounds either like a paring issue or something is causing interference....is the phone close to the controller when you are trying? Do you have something else close like a Wifi Router or something else that could be generating RF...fridge motor/aircon pump etc?

1 comment
2 |3000

I think it's a pairing issue, but well worth checking for interference as you suggest - thanks for the input.

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

"Good thought, but long pressing takes me to the main Bluetooth menu"

Yes exactly, is your Victron device shown there? Try it from that end.

5 comments
2 |3000

If I'm close its an available device, otherwise no.

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image lehrling commented ·

"If I'm close its an available device, otherwise no."

Yes, be close.

0 Likes 0 ·
tramp-truck avatar image tramp-truck lehrling commented ·

But, there's no settings icon to the right of where it's shown, as there would be for a paired device. If I tap the device title it tries, and fails, to connect, without asking for a pairing code.

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image lehrling commented ·

"But, there's no settings icon to the right of where it's shown, as there would be for a paired device. If I tap the device title it tries, and fails, to connect, without asking for a pairing code."

And you have already tried selecting + Pair new device from that screen?

Location permission is on for VictronConnect app?

0 Likes 0 ·
tramp-truck avatar image tramp-truck lehrling commented ·

Yes, unable to communicate with device.

Location turned on.

I'll uninstall the app, re-install and maybe try a different android phone.

0 Likes 0 ·
lehrling avatar image
lehrling answered ·

"Strange as it connects fine with my smart charger."

Not sure what this product is but you are saying you have been able to successfully pair something else on this new Samsung phone? (thought you mentioned this was a new phone)

You could try Reset Wi-Fi, mobile and Bluetooth in Android settings. (I know you already did a factory reset)

1 comment
2 |3000

Sorry, my assumption, it's a bluesmart Victron charger. It asks for pairing code and behaves as expected. Everything else laptop, other phones,music player etc has paired with the new phone OK. It's hard to understand!

I'll have a look at the suggested resets, many thanks for your input in the meantime. At least I've now got a work around, and given that the controller is in a camper I'm not sure I'll be needing it anytime soon!

0 Likes 0 ·
tramp-truck avatar image
tramp-truck answered ·

Some more information - My Samsung s5 phone connects fine, neither of my Samsung tabA tablets, one of which is my new phone, will connect. While un-installing and re-installing the app I got a message saying the app may not be optimised for your device. I think this is the source of the issues. Many Thanks for all the suggestions and comments.

2 |3000

Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

hi @Tramp Truck

When you remove the pairing for the Smart Charger on the new phone (using the phones bluetooth menu), are you still able to connect and pair with the Smart Charger on your new phone? If not, then the cause might be a different app on the phone that is "Hijacking" the pairing dialog.

If you are able to connect and pair with the Smart Charger, but still not with the SmartSolar, can you make a service report (https://ve3.nl/VictronConnect_How-to-create-a-VictronConnect-Service-Report) and post that here?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

5 comments
2 |3000

Thiemo, I can, on the new phone, unpair and re-pair and connect with the bluesmart charger without issue. The solar controller will not pair with the new phone, but will pair and connect with an iPhone and another android phone. I am aware that this does not seem logical !

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ tramp-truck commented ·

That is indeed not very logical. Can you please create a service reports of pairing with the Smart Charger and pairing with the Solar Charger and post them here in a comment?

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
  • Thiemo, attached should be a service report for the solar. Interestingly the battery charger has disappeared from the "available devices"list. I will investigate further
0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ tramp-truck commented ·

There does not seem to be a file attached to your post.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

0 Likes 0 ·
tramp-truck avatar image tramp-truck Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) ♦ commented ·

Thiemo, I suspect that happened as I tried to attach it, could I email it?

0 Likes 0 ·
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) avatar image
Thiemo van Engelen (Victron Energy staff) answered ·

Hi,

What I can see from the service reports is that the tablet is not even able to connect to the SmartSolar, let alone bond with the SmartSolar. I have not seen this before. The only thing that I can think of to try is to get as close as possible to the SmartSolar and then try again, just to find out if the problem is range or something else.

If this still does not work, I would advice you yo contact the seller and try to get this SmartSolar swapped with another one.

Kind regards,

Thiemo van Engelen

1 comment
2 |3000

Thiemo, I was right beside the controller, no more than 60cm away. Return isn't really an option, I have no invoice or seller details as it was bought on eBay about 18 months ago. At least I have a work-around in that I can use another device to access the data. Many thanks for your patience and time.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic