question

mediacut avatar image
mediacut asked

REQUEST...stop charge based on SOC

Hello guys,

@mvader (Victron Energy), @Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager),@Johannes Boonstra (Victron Energy Staff)

Because most of us use lithium batteries, and as you know, is not recommend to charge it or keep them to 100% this light in my head the ideea to ask you if is possible to add an option in ESS - that can limit inverter/charger to a custom SOC.

I know that we can set charge voltage in inverter but each time we need to hook an laptop with Windows and make changes...and, not all of us are windows users, and not anyone know how to set charger voltage, and is possible to make some mistakes and changes there also that can damage battery or set them on fire.

In some situations will be more easy to do it from ESS menu. For example for normal use I will setup inverter to charge to 90% and discharge based on ESS setting, that is great.

In my case, I have 40kWh lithium and to persevere batteries and increase cycles I can chose to charge only to 80%...and discharge to 40%. Now, I made this by set an small charging voltage, but when I need full battery power need to all this again...and I repeat accidents my happen... This will be an option like Tesla recommend in their cars to use the battery so can last longer.

In other cases when for example a storm is announced...I will set inverter to charge to 100%.

In this way we can configure the real battery capacity into Victron, no need to make calculation in order to charge to a specific value based on voltage. I will setup inverter to know that 4.2v is 100% and 3.0v is 0% (of course based on battery series in parallel)

Will be part of ESS - optimized (Whit batterylife) and (whiteout)

Just a thought from an Romanian fan!

feature request
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Duncan Hall avatar image
Duncan Hall answered ·

Why not just set the charged voltage to a value appropriate to 90% charged?

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Related Resources

The feature requests topic tag can help Victron R&D find feature suggestions for products. 

There are many factors that go into the Victron product roadmap, and feedback from end-users can help.