question

andy156 avatar image
andy156 asked

Multiplus Factor 1.0 with DC Connected panels

I am considering have a Multiplus setup with my existing 5kw inverter on the ac out leg of the inverter. I understand that I will need one of the 5000va series at that point.

However, in the future I also want to add more panels (7kw) using the MPPT DC-DC modules charging the batteries directly. If it is sunny and both sets of panels are producing max power, do I then need to have 12000VA?

Also, the following post https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start mentions that for 1.5kw of panel you require 100 amps at 48V which would imply the ability to take 4.8kw. Does that mean 3kw requires 200? ?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
marekp avatar image
marekp answered ·
However, in the future I also want to add more panels (7kw) using the 
MPPT DC-DC modules charging the batteries directly. If it is sunny and 
both sets of panels are producing max power, do I then need to have 
12000VA?

No, "factor 1.0" applies only to the AC coupled PV inverter.

Also, the following post https://www.victronenergy.com/live/ac_coupling:start
 mentions that for 1.5kw of panel you require 100 amps at 48V which 
would imply the ability to take 4.8kw. Does that mean 3kw requires 200? ?

Yes, that is suggested size of LFP battery when PV inverter is AC coupled.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Thank you both @Andy156 and @MarekP

I have updated that originally linked manual with the answers;

4 Requirement of adding DC-Coupling - MPPT Solar Chargers

There is no Factor 1.0 limit that applies for DC coupled PV through a Victron MPPT. Nor is there a specific minimum amount of battery storage capacity, though please follow battery manufacture specifications for maximum charge rates. A rule of thumb is C10 (10% of Ah capacity in A) for lead acid batteries, and C2 (50% of Ah capacity in A) for lithium batteries.

3.1 Lead batteries

1 kWp installed PV power requires approximately 5kWh of lead acid battery:

100 Ah at 48 Vdc

200 Ah at 24 Vdc

400 Ah at 12 Vdc

Each additional 1 kWp of AC PV will require an additional proportional 5 kWh increase in lead acid battery storage.

3.2 Lithium batteries

1,5 kWp installed AC PV power requires 4.8 kWh of battery storage:

100 Ah at 48 Vdc

200 Ah at 24 Vdc

400 Ah at 12 Vdc

Each additional 1.5 kWp of AC PV will require an additional proportional 4.8 kWh increase in battery storage.

1 comment
2 |3000

andy156 avatar image andy156 commented ·

Hi thanks for all your answers. The other question would relate to the amperage. I was going to size the pylontech array so it would comfortably take the 100amp load. I presume the 100amp requirement doesn't scale.

Is the sizing of the battery storage a hard requirement or a recommendation? I was going to start with 4x3.5 pylon tech 14kWh which from the spec sheet gives 148amp nominal current for the charge rate. We have quite a high usage in the house so currently don't have much energy left over to store. I'd scale the system as I add more panels.

0 Likes 0 ·