question

blutow avatar image
blutow asked

Shipping damaged for new unit treated as warranty repair? (solved)

I received a new Multiplus inverter on Saturday. Fedex delivery. Opened it up and the housing of the inverter is bent at the top, obviously dropped during shipping since the metal case is pretty stout. Box wasn't bad, but you could see the "squishey" corner where it was dropped. I wasn't happy, but stuff happens and figured it was a minor inconvenience and delay. Sent email and pictures immediately to the dealer I bought it from.

Dealer reaches out to me on monday and asks that I fill out a RMA/Warranty form. Seemed odd with the questions about install date, etc., but they said that is the process. I sent it back and then they sent me an RMA number with the address for the Victron repair center for me to send unit for repair (at my cost...).

To me, this seems like it would be a simple damage claim on Fedex and I'd return the damaged unit and get a replacement. They said the return/repair is how Victron handles shipping damage and it's out of their hands since the unit drop shipped from Victron.

The whole things seems crazy to me, but I'm not here to complain about the dealer or Victron at this point. I was hoping to get some info on how Victron typically handles shipping damage when they drop ship. Is this par for the course or is something getting lost in translation with my dealer?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
blutow avatar image
blutow answered ·

Just an update - Victron is sending a return label for the damaged Multiplus and will be sending me a new unit. I assume there must have been some miscommunication somewhere along the way, but it appears to have been worked out.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

It is not Victron's or your dealer's fault if FedEx damage the unit during shipping. So you (or your dealer) should get in touch with FedEx first.

1 comment
2 |3000

blutow avatar image blutow commented ·

I don't disagree with fedex being at fault. I'm just following my dealer's instructions on how they deal with this. I've asked the question multiple times why it isn't as simple as making a claim with Fedex and getting me a replacement, but they are saying this is how Victron handles shipping damage and it's out of their hands since it was a drop ship. Warranty repair feels wrong and I couldn't even wrap my head around them asking me to pay for shipping to the repair facility.

0 Likes 0 ·
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) avatar image
Guy Stewart (Victron Community Manager) answered ·

Hi @blutow,

Can you please fill out this Support Request Form, it is a more appropriate channel to work out what can be done to help, and escalate if necessary.

Also you might like the read the Victron Warranty statement as well.

Hopefully all gets sorted out quickly.

2 |3000