question

bartjs avatar image
bartjs asked

Will my controller be okay?

I want to create a system that looks like this:

4 x 330W Solar Panels (specifically REC Twinpeak2 mono 330w). With a open circuit V oc of 40.8.
I want to connect them in pairs, in series, and then connect the two pairs in parallel.

I have bought the Victron SmartSolar Charge Controller MPPT 150/35.

My battery bank was going to be 2 x 120ah Lifepo4 in parallel

Have i made a mistake with my controller? (i originally calculated the input to be approximately 80volts and 16.5 amps
But i didn't calculate the output of the controller. WHich i presume is 1320watts / 12volts

Will the controller work at all, or is it too much power?

Does anyone have any suggestions on what a cost effective solution might be. I'd prefer to keep my battery bank in 12v, due to some 12v appliances i have, and a victron orion dc to dc charger and a renogy 3000w inverter/charger 12v.

I have had a look through a lot of posts on here, but none provided the specific answer I'm looking for.

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
dazey77 avatar image
dazey77 answered ·

The controller will be fine but your output will be throttled by the MPPT output. The most it will ever achieve is 35A @ 12v (14.x V is the likely charge voltage of course).

The 150/35 is a hard voltage limit on the solar side (must not exceed)and a soft current limit on the output side. (you can put as many panels on it as you want without exceeding voltage)

In times of full sun you will of course never get the full potential from your panels but by over panelling you will be boosting your power at the other times. Depending on your power requirements this may be perfectly acceptable. Most of us lack power in times of cloud rather than sun

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.