question

mtlipperd avatar image
mtlipperd asked

Multiplus 12/3000/120-50 120v Shuts Off When Battery Charger Reaches 14.2v

SETUP in my RV:

I have my Multiplus Batt + & - connected to a Lynx Distributor. I have a high current battery disconnect switch between the Lynx and the Multiplus on the positive side.

I have 4 Lithium Lion Safari UT1300 105ah batteries connected in parallel for 12v 420ah using 4/0 14" inch cables. I connect the battery bank to the Lynx Distributor on the positive connection and use a 400amp mega fuse to join to the Lynx positive buss bar. I connect the negative side of the battery bank to the shunt of a BMV-712 Smart Battery Monitor then from the shunt to the Lynx negative buss bar. The positive and negative cables are on opposite sides of the battery bank to ensure even charge/discharge of the battery bank.

Problem Statement:

The Multiplus charger is set to Absorption 14.2v and FLoat 13.6v. When the battery charger reaches 14.2v, instead of going into Absorption mode the Multiplus just shuts off completely and I even lose AC power...the whole inverter/charger/transfer switch just shuts down.

Can someone help me solve this problem?

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Daniël Boekel (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @mtlipperd

Probably your batteries are not balanced yet, and they disconnect due to this reason. This makes the DC voltage shoot up and the system shuts down to protect itself.

Try a lower charging voltage, like 14 volt, until the batteries are balanced.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mtlipperd avatar image mtlipperd commented ·

I got it figured out. The Multi was sold to me with 430 firmware so I figured out how to upgrade with Victron Connect to 476 firmware and my problem was solved.

Now I am just trying to determine if I can charge at a full 120amps or will my Lion's BMS disconnect at their max of 100amps...

Thanks for the balancing idea but I had already charged each battery separately and tested them and they all came in at ~.02v of each other

0 Likes 0 ·
davesnothere avatar image davesnothere mtlipperd commented ·

Im a little late to the party here but thought I would pass on what I got from Lion. Victron Multiplus settings for Lion UT1300.pdf

0 Likes 0 ·