question

epicadvanture avatar image
epicadvanture asked

Settings for BMV-700

Hello there.

I have a BMV-700. I dont know what I should change the settings to as I am charging with 3 devices. Alternator, solar and shore.

Please help,

DENNIS

BMV Battery Monitorinstallation
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
markus avatar image
markus answered ·

Hi @EpicAdvanture,

it is impossible for the BMV to differentiate the charging sources, so it should be OK as it is?

Regards,

Markus

4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

epicadvanture avatar image epicadvanture commented ·

Well i didnt chage the settings when i installed it. There is a video saying I have to change the settings when using solar? What is the settings for that? I dont understand what to set it to. Thanks you for the quick response by the way.

0 Likes 0 ·
markus avatar image markus ♦♦ epicadvanture commented ·

Maybe this blog post is worth reading. It covers everything important:

instructional-video-how-to-optimise-the-bmv-700-series-sync-parameters

Regards,

Markus

1 Like 1 ·
wkirby avatar image wkirby ♦♦ epicadvanture commented ·

Do you have a link to the video that you saw? Maybe there is something in there that you saw which is or isn't in the same context that would apply to you.
What Markus said is right, there aren't any settings to differentiate energy sources for the BMV.

0 Likes 0 ·
epicadvanture avatar image epicadvanture wkirby ♦♦ commented ·

The victron installation video said that when using solar, I need to adjust the settings accordingly.

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image
boekel answered ·

the only settings I frequently see set wrong is the 'charged voltage' and 'tail current' settings, this can lead to syncing to 100% way to early.

make sure these settings are appropriate for your batteries / battery size.

2 |3000

epicadvanture avatar image
epicadvanture answered ·

Yes, that's exactly the settings I dont know how to set. Can you help me figure that out? I have 3-100 amp hour sealed lead acid batteries wired in parallel . 12 v, 300 ah. @Boekel

3 comments
2 |3000

boekel avatar image boekel ♦ commented ·

because your system can charge slow due to low sun input: have the charged voltage high, like close to the max (absorbtion) voltage, the charged current is tricky, I'd start with 1%

if you really want to get it right, you can choose to not let the BMV sync itself by setting the voltage even higher, this way you can check if the SOC drifts up or down from what it should be (should be 100% when absorbtion is reached and the battery doesn't accept more than x current)
Change charge efficiëncy and peukert factor to finetune.

1 Like 1 ·
epicadvanture avatar image epicadvanture boekel ♦ commented ·

Thank you. That makes much more sense than the instruction manual. Now what about when charging from my alternator? I have an 180 amp alternator. Will those same settings work?

0 Likes 0 ·
boekel avatar image boekel ♦ epicadvanture commented ·

yes the alternator will have a set voltage it charges up to, when the battery is the same voltage it will not draw current anymore.

Just realise it's impossible to always have exact state of charge on lead acid batteries, if you always stay on the safe side when discharging (no more than 50% discharge on regular lead acid batteries) than this should not be a problem.

0 Likes 0 ·

Related Resources

Victron BMV battery monitors product page

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic