question

Jack avatar image
Jack asked

Multiplus 3000/120 charging abilities

My electrician Installed Multiplus 3000/120 to charge Lithium (house) battery, in boat. He used the Victron software to configure for Lithium.

Why can’t Multiplus be set to also charge my flooded lead acid start batteries, and FLA genny battery on the other unused available banks?

Is the Multiplus capability only one battery-type setting for all three banks?

thank you

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @Jack, welcome to the Community!

The MultiPlus may only be connected to a single battery bank, period. Attempting to do otherwise will result in system instability resulting in possible malfunction and/or system failure. Do not do this.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Jack avatar image Jack commented ·

Thank you very much. I’ll follow this advice.

0 Likes 0 ·
Justin Cook avatar image Justin Cook ♦♦ Jack commented ·

@Jack, I will add - as others mentioned- that you absolutely can use the Multi's trickle-charge output to help keep your start batteries topped off! The trickle charge output will follow the same charge profile as you have the Multi set for, though.

0 Likes 0 ·
Jesse avatar image
Jesse answered ·

I don’t think any multiplus exist with more than one pair of battery terminals. So there is no way to separately connect different banks, let alone charge them independently. Some have a 12V starter charger wire, but it only makes 1A, a trickle.
Even the blue smart chargers with 3 separate outputs can only be set to one chemistry at a time. The demo library in the VictronConnect app gives a good way of testing these questions.
maybe powering a blue smart charger off your multiplus would let you charge a second bank of batteries? But hard to balance.

2 |3000

dfraizer avatar image
dfraizer answered ·

What about the 4 amp trickle charge for the start battery?

1 comment
2 |3000

Jack avatar image Jack commented ·

Yes, all I need is a small charger for starts and genny batts.
was looking at Victron IP series.

need at least two bank charger,

one bank to charge both start batts and second bank to charge genny batt.

my Carver has factory Charles 50amp charger which used to charge house, and starts, and a small 10amp Charles for the genny batt.

I took the new Lithium battery off the Charles and it gets charge from the new Victron Multiplus. The Charles units are almost twenty years old and probably not too “smart”.

I don’t need lots of amps for the starts or genny as I’m at the slip a lot and they don’t get drawn down much.

if anyone ha experience with the Victron smart IP series chargers, I’d appreciate hearing more about them

thank you.

https://www.victronenergy.com/chargers/blue-smart-ip22-charger

0 Likes 0 ·