question

dbainbridge avatar image
dbainbridge asked

Plastic Screws on SmartSolar heatsink for Wire Box?

There should be warning in directions when installing the WireBox on SmartSolar that the existing screws on the back of the heat sink that is used to mount the wire box plate to are actually plastic and should NOT be re-used. I did not realize this at first and broke both heads off. Still trying to get the threads out of one of the holes.

MPPT Controllers
4 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

dbainbridge avatar image dbainbridge commented ·

I'm beginning to think the black plastic screws on the heat sink were not supposed to be plastic?? Since I used two of the short metal screws that were included with the wire box (and also fit perfectly to attack the back plate to the heat sink) I no longer have 2 screws to fasten the wire box cover the the wire box back plate.

0 Likes 0 ·
Ingo avatar image Ingo dbainbridge commented ·

Same happened to me, I got the plastic screw out with a small pick. I would say rather not put the plastic placeholder screws in at all, there is no reason why the holes can't just be left open to avoid any confusion. Or, if they have to be there then make them white or translucent so it looks like plastic, to me the black colour looked like normal screws (albeit a bit light in weight) but I am probably half blind in the one eye and can't see out the other :-) (jokingly...)

0 Likes 0 ·
dbainbridge avatar image dbainbridge Ingo commented ·

I'm not clear why the plastic screws should even be included on the heat sink of the SmartSolar to begin with or if it is in fact a mistake? Considering the manual states not to mount the controller on a combustible surface it is odd you would then have soft plastic screws attached to probably the hottest area of the heatsink.

0 Likes 0 ·
dbainbridge avatar image dbainbridge dbainbridge commented ·

Part of my issue is that I only had 4 screws instead of 6 in my wire box bag. I had purchased two wire box covers and the other had all 6 screws. I am missing the 2 that attaches the cover to the plate.. so if someone knows the screw specs that would be helpful. It appears to be M3 size but the thread doesn't work with the M3 screws I have.

0 Likes 0 ·
0 Answers