question

Aleksandar Malenic avatar image
Aleksandar Malenic asked

MPPT 250/100-MC4 VE.Can all possible ways to connect the PV array to all 3 pairs of the MC4s

Dear all,

let me ask you about the possible electrical benefit of 3 pairs of MC4s.

In the production manual nor on any official video is given this explanation.

Does it mean:

-each PLUS MC4 and each MINUS MC4 is internally connected on the board short so it only can accept 3 identical PV arrays with same voltage, same current, same place orientation to the sun so only PLUS is using it as a parallel point to eliminate thick cabling?

- it enables connection of max 3 independent PV arrays with different voltage and roof orientation and has advantage like multi MPPTs so one chain is 220 V orientated to the east and second chain to south with 150 V and third chain with 180 V to the West?

I really hope it is the second option as I would really welcome it. :-)

If not I have to use several MPPT 250/100-MC4 VE.Can for each array. :-(

Thank you for your answers and experience sharing.

Alex

MPPT Controllers
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

1 Answer
Paul B avatar image
Paul B answered ·

your first option is correct

-each PLUS MC4 and each MINUS MC4 is internally connected on the board short. all the 3 positives are joined inside and all 3 negatives are joined inside. the extras are there so that you can spread the load over 3 of them if required.

2 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Aleksandar Malenic avatar image Aleksandar Malenic commented ·

Thank you Paul for your fast reply, I appreciate it. I will try to still connect different chains with different orientation and voltage parallel but via Shotky high voltage diode and I expect no more power disipation than 5 W max as the max current per chain for panels I use is 10A and the direct voltage drain 0.5 V when the diode is open.... This should work so one device can be used....

Cheers and let me wish you a great day.

Alex

0 Likes 0 ·
michelg avatar image michelg Aleksandar Malenic commented ·

Hi Aleksandar, usually the PV panels have their own shotky diodes installed in the black box in their back, where the +/- cables are connected.

Michel

0 Likes 0 ·