question

Simon Phillips avatar image
Simon Phillips asked

Victron lead carbon 106Ah charging time

Hi How fast will Victron Lead carbon charge ? Leoch claim 90mins to 90% is Victron similar ? would rather buy Victron but can see any reference to faster charging time than std AGM

battery charging
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

3 Answers
Matthias Lange - DE avatar image
Matthias Lange - DE answered ·

Every lead acid/Gel/AGM/carbon battery should be charged at 0.1-0.15C.
-> At a 100Ah battery -> 10-15A
Depending on the SOC the charging will take it's time.
50% at 100Ah -> 50Ah -> 10A charging current -> at least 5h of charging

You can use a higher charging current will decrease the lifetime of the battery.

The Victron datasheet says not more than 0.2C:
https://www.victronenergy.com/upload/documents/Datasheet-Lead-carbon-battery-EN.pdf

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Simon Phillips answered ·

yes I understand that lead carbon take same as normal AGM to 100% but the question is 50-90% charge as they dont need 100% all the time thats the attraction , closer to Lithium than other LA . Leoch claim 90mins from even lower DOD I understand for lead carbon as this is supposed to be a feature of them . I would like to understand Victron charge time in this band as faster charge time is key , I am looking at lithium but the complexity and cost of getting them to work properly with my boat set up is very daunting and off putting to be honest

1 comment
2 |3000

Matthias Lange - DE avatar image Matthias Lange - DE ♦ commented ·

0.2C of 106Ah is 21.2A
50-90% are 42.4Ah
-> around 2h (120min) of charging

0 Likes 0 ·
Simon Phillips answered ·

Thanks for the input BTW should have said sorry :-)

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic