question

Johan Ohrstedt avatar image
Johan Ohrstedt asked

Multiplus power consumption in off or charger only mode

I am planning to install a Multiplus 12/3000/120 in my sailing boat and hence idle power is always at a premium. While it is easy to find the information of the idle load in search or AES mode, I cant find what the consumption is when the inverter is turned off or in charger only mode. The off/charger only mode that i am particularly interested in is the Cerbo GX software controlled. Anyone that has made real life measurements or knows where to find more details.

MultiPlus Quattro Inverter Charger
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) answered ·

Hi @Johan Ohrstedt,

AFAIK the MultiPlus does not consume any power while in Off mode. I have the same unit and never noticed any power draw on the shunt.

Why does power consumption in Charger mode matter? Charger mode becomes relevant only when you have shore power or driven by a generator. The power consumption consists of charging power, power loss and efficiency and power to drive the unit (which is negligible compared to the other two).

3 comments
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

Johan Ohrstedt avatar image Johan Ohrstedt commented ·

Hi @Stefanie! This is since I intend to use the Inverter quite seldom and more often have the device in "off" or "charger only" (controlled from the Cerbo MFD app). Why the charger only mode is to not have to worry about turning it on manually once plugged in. Since I intend to spend the majority of time off-grid, the parasitic draw is critical and I suspect there must be some as the device responds to VE.Bus control commands to turn on/off/charger only. From your measurements on the shunt it sounds like this draw is really neglectable, and that's really great to know. Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Johan Ohrstedt commented ·

Hi Johan,

I've almost forgotten about this. Sorry for the delay. But here are my results:

• No shore power, MultiPlus in Charger Only mode, power consumption 2.5W.
  • No shore power, MultiPlus in Off mode, no power consumption.

Hope that helps.

1 Like 1 ·
Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) avatar image Stefanie (Victron Energy Staff) ♦♦ Johan Ohrstedt commented ·

Welcome!

I'll be at my boat tomorrow, cut shore power and switch the MultiPlus into Charger Only to see what's going power wise, just to be sure. Will report back here.

0 Likes 0 ·
andrea-collecchia avatar image
andrea-collecchia answered ·

I am installing the bluethooth dongle to disable inverter on multiplus via phone or vrm, tomorrow or the day after tomorrow I think I can give you an answer of the consumption for Cerbo. Bye

2 comments
2 |3000

Johan Ohrstedt avatar image Johan Ohrstedt commented ·

Where you able to measure the off/charger only mode idle consumption of the Multiplus? Thanks!

0 Likes 0 ·
andrea-collecchia avatar image andrea-collecchia Johan Ohrstedt commented ·

Hi, this is my consumption with all switch off only cerbo bms and 2 mppt. If the inverter is on the consumption is around 1,5A

schermata-2021-02-17-alle-214734.png

0 Likes 0 ·