question

mako74 avatar image
mako74 asked

Victron powered van conversion - requesting a review of my diagram

Hi all. I've been spending some time figuring out the power system for my van conversion. I'm pretty confident I've covered all the components I need, an their position in this van ecosystem and have sized wires and cables according to my best amateur-level understanding on the subject. I've placed a star on the components I've already purchased or ordered in the attached image: MultiPlus, MPPT, Orion, Cerbo + screen, Smart Shunt and the batteries. I also understand that the Orion-Tr is not so smart that it could be connected via VE.Direct to the Cerbo. Location of the system will be within a square meter at the back of the van and the longest run would be the 5m starter battery cable from the cabin to the rear of the van and of course the pv panels on the roof.

The most uncertain component of the system is the PV array; I have limited space on the roof due to planned skylight and MaxxFan. Also I want to deck a small area of the DIY roof rack I'm building. I want to have a minimum of ~600Wp of solar, pushing as close to the MPPT's capacity as possible and the PV panels shouldn't exceed 1480mm x ~600mm dimensions. So far, the OffgridTec 150Wp modules seem to have the highest output of this module size I've seen, given they are a bit pricey though.

I'm also not 100% sure if I can connect all the Victron components via Victron Connect App. I understand Orion-Tr Smart, MPPT Smart, Smart Shunt and MultiPlus (with the VE.Bus Smart Dongle) can connect to the App, but the Cerbo can't. I'm planning to connect mainly via the App, but also would want to be able to access the system via VRM Portal when outside BT range (via the Router). The Cerbo display goes to the cabin and provides redundancy in case BT is not working or I lose my phone. I also have an Android 10" head unit (posted a question about it some time ago), so would be interesting to connect that unit to the system as well via BT or mirroring the Cerbo display.

So, I'm seeking some constructive criticism from you experienced Victron users on this set-up.

-have I overlooked, misplaced, miss-matched, miss-sized something in the main components of the design? Is there something I should change in order it to work better, or at all?

-is it possible to connect non-Victron components with the VictronConnect App, namely the two LiFePO4 -batteries?

-are there any good alternatives for the OffgridTec 150Wp panels in 2S2P that you'd know of? Could also be 3 x 200W in1S minding the size restriction.

Thanks in advance!

ducato-electrics.jpg

system design
ducato-electrics.jpg (681.6 KiB)
2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

2 Answers
Justin Cook avatar image
Justin Cook answered ·

Hi @Mako74, welcome to the Community! Please take a few moments to read and understand the Community Guidelines; as noted in the Guidelines, 1: One question per post, please, and 2: this really isn't the place for schematic review or complex system design, as there are a great many factors that are dependent on your particular installation environment, topography, and any applicable governing electrical codes.

We'll leave up this post, as indeed other users here are free to offer what insight they may, but it is strongly advised to engage a reputable and qualified Victron-trained systems installer for your schematic review and assistance with installation; your local authorized Victron distributor will also be able to assist you with component selection and features, and may -depending on the services they offer- also be able to assist you with schematic design and review.

2 |3000

Up to 8 attachments (including images) can be used with a maximum of 190.8 MiB each and 286.6 MiB total.

mako74 avatar image
mako74 answered ·

Thanks Justin for the notice. I admit I was a bit excited to share my first schematic and forgot all about the guidelines.

2 |3000

Related Resources

Additional resources still need to be added for this topic